brooder

bigbum1984

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Kent, England
I am getting my brooder ready for my chicks but am not sure about the light needed,
I am using a 20w energy efficient bulb in my incubator,

1 - Will I need a higher watt bulb for the brooder?
2 - Will straw or hay be ok or should i use wood shavings?
3 - Do I need to put a lid on the brooder?

The box I am using for the brooder is about 18 inches deep

I use a 250 watt bulb 18 inches above the floor of my brooder box.

I use paper towels for the first two to three weeks, then shavings.

I don't have a tight lid on the box, but as they get older, they can fly those 18 inches up and get out if you aren't watchful.

I always use a red heat lamp in my brooder, so I can't tell you, but you should aim for a temperature of 95* in the hottest part of the brooder for the first week. Experiment with the bulbs you have available.
I personally prefer wood shavings. Put paper towels over it for the first few days, so the chicks won't eat it.
Yes, but not a solid lid that will compromise air flow and stop the heat and fumes escaping. Some kind of mesh would be ideal. Chicks can fly from a surprisingly young age!
Here are some brooder designs that you can look at to give you ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures

I'm guessing from your questions that you're brooding in your house?

1) You'll need either a higher wattage bulb (probably 100W to start and 60 to step down) or an EcoGlow which uses low wattage by having the chicks in physical contact with their heat source. Make sure the box is large enough that your chicks can get away from the heat.

2) I used chopped straw and it works great! I wouldn't use whole straw for babies -- you want something they can scratch around in.

3) You'll want a screen lid by 2 weeks or they may fly out and have trouble finding their way back.

Last edited:
Sure, it's fine. I put newspaper under my straw at first because the brooder floor wasn't easy to clean. I ended up making the straw a bit deeper and skipping the newspaper because it was more trouble than help but your results may vary.

I never did. They'd run from the big, scary hands and the green dustpan I used for a scoop so I would just clean half at a time with them hiding on the other side. They didn't like it at all but they didn't like being grabbed either.

Back
Top Bottom