Broodiness of EE's

Panth

Songster
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Indiana
Just popping in to ask a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to on the other Forums. How often does a typical Easter Egger go broody? And in general, are they good mothers?

I didn't think they were likely to go broody at all, but there are exceptions to every rule.
smile.png

Just popping in to ask a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to on the other Forums. How often does a typical Easter Egger go broody? And in general, are they good mothers?

I have 4 EE's. Out of those only one has gone broody one time. She sat on the eggs really well and protected them with vengance, but once they hatched she left the babies on their own after 3 days.

EEs are mainly the progeny of hatcheries, and those facilities breed for egg production, not mothering capacity. My EE is about 2 years old, and she briefly had a period where she sat in the nest box for 5 hours a day, but she got bored and left every time.

grr, lol, ok, nevermind, I just ordered 2 silkies and a cochin, that should get the job done

Back
Top Bottom