Broody at 8 months old

Mcook512

Songster
May 22, 2019
My 8 month old pullet has gone broody! She started out sitting on a nest for 4-5 hours a day, and now it is ALL day and night. I don’t have a rooster, but do have a friend with fertilized eggs. I’m also getting baby chicks in 3 weeks. Should I let her continue to sit and get a couple eggs for her? Or wait until I have baby chicks? I’m also not 100% sure she will have the staying power to sit until eggs hatch.

I would attempt to give her the chicks, but do supervise her to make sure she accepts them as well as if the chicks will accept her as their new momma.

I would attempt to give her the chicks, but do supervise her to make sure she accepts them as well as if the chicks will accept her as their new momma.
So let her continue to sit until the babies arrive? And she may not sit that long. I don’t know. It has been 2 days/nights. I let her keep an egg and just swap it for a different one daily.

Yes, because people usually wait until she’s been broody for more than just a small handful of days before attempting to hatch eggs with them*. When will you get chicks?

I’m also getting 20 chicks. I’m sure she won’t be able to keep up with that many, but do you think if she accepts them, she will be fine in the brooder with that many babies? I have a separate coop for the babies.

Yes, because people usually wait until she’s been broody for more than just a small handful of days before attempting to hatch eggs with them*. When will you get chicks?
I’m picking up chicks from the hatchery on April 16th.

If she accepts them she will need a secure area that is on the ground so the chicks can sleep under her. Hens can take care of 20 chicks. She is a young mom so I’d keep her in an enclosed pen.

If she’s still broody then she’ll definitely want chicks. Some hens do get bored after a few days and stop being broody.

If she’s still broody then she’ll definitely want chicks. Some hens do get bored after a few days and stop being broody.
Thanks for the replies. I am so excited to get more chicks and possibly let one of my girls be a mom. I have had chickens for a year and this is my first broody.

Back
Top Bottom