Broody Hatched Cracked Egg!

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello! I decided to post this thread and share my experience to hopefully help others if or when they may need it.

I recently gave one of my broody hens four eggs that I had in my incubator so that I wouldn’t have to take care of them when they hatched. A few days before they were due to hatch, another hen laid her egg in the nest, cracking one of the eggs with a developing chick. This is what it looked like: 288E5E92-98EF-4870-8F1D-15203D0B91C9.jpeg You can see that the air cell was never broken and the membrane was still intact.

I didn’t think that it was going to hatch, but I decided that it couldn’t hurt to try to save it, so I cracked another (normal) egg from the same hen (so that it would be about the same shape as the developing one that broke) and put the blunt end of the shell over the cracked part of the first egg. I sealed the crack with candle wax all the way around, so it looked like this: 8839A7E0-759F-4B88-B31C-DEE9C961E921.jpeg I was so surprised one morning to find that all four eggs had hatched, and that all the chicks were completely healthy and active!

I just wanted to say that if anyone has a developing egg that gets cracked, it’s not necessarily a goner, and often times it will still hatch. Try sealing the crack(s) with candle wax, and do your best to handle it with extra care and gentleness. This will give it the best chance possible!

Hello! I decided to post this thread and share my experience to hopefully help others if or when they may need it.

I recently gave one of my broody hens four eggs that I had in my incubator so that I wouldn’t have to take care of them when they hatched. A few days before they were due to hatch, another hen laid her egg in the nest, cracking one of the eggs with a developing chick. This is what it looked like:View attachment 3514123 You can see that the air cell was never broken and the membrane was still intact.

I didn’t think that it was going to hatch, but I decided that it couldn’t hurt to try to save it, so I cracked another (normal) egg from the same hen (so that it would be about the same shape as the developing one that broke) and put the blunt end of the shell over the cracked part of the first egg. I sealed the crack with candle wax all the way around, so it looked like this:View attachment 3514129 I was so surprised one morning to find that all four eggs had hatched, and that all the chicks were completely healthy and active!

I just wanted to say that if anyone has a developing egg that gets cracked, it’s not necessarily a goner, and often times it will still hatch. Try sealing the crack(s) with candle wax, and do your best to handle it with extra care and gentleness. This will give it the best chance possible!

Wow!! Amazing!

I recently gave one of my broody hens four eggs that I had in my incubator so that I wouldn’t have to take care of them when they hatched. A few days before they were due to hatch, another hen laid her egg in the nest, cracking one of the eggs with a developing chick. This is what it looked like:View attachment 3514123 You can see that the air cell was never broken and the membrane was still intact.

I didn’t think that it was going to hatch, but I decided that it couldn’t hurt to try to save it, so I cracked another (normal) egg from the same hen (so that it would be about the same shape as the developing one that broke) and put the blunt end of the shell over the cracked part of the first egg. I sealed the crack with candle wax all the way around, so it looked like this:View attachment 3514129 I was so surprised one morning to find that all four eggs had hatched, and that all the chicks were completely healthy and active!

That is a fabulous end to that story 🥰
Congratulations!

Same happened two days ago preparing the hatcher for lockdown, placing a sturdy net on the rolling surface to be a safe hatching place.
One egg dud roll out and fell on the table ( fell around 10 cm) and got a crack on the side. Urgently I had nothing around but only a clear tape; so I took a piece of tape and sealed the crack along the side.
Hatching is due by tomorrow August 1st.
Hoping for the best:)

Same happened two days ago preparing the hatcher for lockdown, placing a sturdy net on the rolling surface to be a safe hatching place.
One egg dud roll out and fell on the table ( fell around 10 cm) and got a crack on the side. Urgently I had nothing around but only a clear tape; so I took a piece of tape and sealed the crack along the side.
Hatching is due by tomorrow August 1st.
Hoping for the best:)
Good fast thinking, but next time I recommend using nail polish or candle wax. Tape would work as a temporary fix while you want to find these, though.
Good luck with your hatch! :jumpy
Please keep us updated. I want to see if this works! 😁

Good fast thinking, but next time I recommend using nail polish or candle wax. Tape would work as a temporary fix while you want to find these, though.
Good luck with your hatch! :jumpy
Please keep us updated. I want to see if this works! 😁
Definitely I’ll post updates; having dilemma: opening the locked down incubator to remove the cracked/temporary sealed cracked egg to seal with better solution ( thanks for great info) but finally I ‘ve decided to Not open the incubator, putting at risk the 7 other eggs.
Today is July 31st here in Japan; still no movements from the eggs; perhaps from tonight or tomorrow morning definitely.
I did put the crack one so I can see well through the incubator plastic wall ; what a great surprise would be that one would start first the hatching:)
Keep up the good encouraging works, really thankful!

Back
Top Bottom