Broody hen enclosure

fightingbunny

Songster
Aug 9, 2016
Maryland
Does anyone have some pictures or ideas for a good broody hen enclosure? I might be able to place it in my chicken run if it isn't too large so she has a safe space and thus won't need to go too crazy with predator proofing. I was going to have her just stay with the other chickens, but when she came off the nest for a quick break, the other chickens harassed her. I am worried what they will do to the babies.

Jenn

I've done a few different things to keep a broody in the run with her flock yet separate.
1st go round I simply took a large dog crate, wrapped it with some plastic mesh (so the chicks stayed in it), flipped the bottom tray over and Sat it on top of the crate. This worked well but is not much space after the chicks are running around a lot.
I've also took some small mesh fencing and sectioned off the run from the other chickens. This was slightly better then the dog crate but I should have buried the fence about a foot deep to combat the digging the chickens do.
Other options are to put the fence in the coop area its self or if you have a small enough chicken tractor put that in the run.
Anything that's weather proof, keeps momma and babies safe from the other chickens, is easy to keep maintained and clean, should work.
Hope this helps you out.
David

Bantam cochin size birds, did fine with 6 chicks for about 3 weeks in a large dog crate.
Something full sized with 6 chicks, I'd go 4 feet by 4 feet minimum and probably only for 2 weeks.
I have a lav orpington with 2 chicks and she can't stand to be in her 10 foot x 4 foot run with her week old chicks. I added some movable fencing to the yard and now that she has twice the room and grass, she's happy.

This is what I just built. Just put it to use on Sunday. It is inside my run. I also have a floor insert so I can use the pen as a "Lookie-no-touchy" integration tool.
20180430_182858.jpg
20180501_075117.jpg
20180501_075129.jpg
20180521_132245.jpg

Inside the coop with chicks I built a temporary wall.
Screenshot_20180510-144006.png

Screenshot_20180510-144249.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of the divider in the coop while she is brooding. That way she is comfortable where she is. I think once the chicks come that won't work as they all will want to move around more. So maybe I will rig up chicken wire and food and water for her for the next few weeks inside and build something like you showed for after they hatch

I like the idea of the divider in the coop while she is brooding. That way she is comfortable where she is. I think once the chicks come that won't work as they all will want to move around more. So maybe I will rig up chicken wire and food and water for her for the next few weeks inside and build something like you showed for after they hatch

Ideally, you will want to remove the barrier when the chicks are about 1 week old so the hen can integrate them with the rest of the flock. The hen will be most protective of her chicks at that point, and she should be able to protect them from any unruly flock members unless she's a very low-ranking hen.

I only kept the temporary wall up for about 10 days after chicks were born. Let the "big kids" get used to them being around. Hearing them, seeing them etc. I took the temporary wall down and just stood back and watched Momma do her thing. All went smoothly.

I too have a temporary wall in the coop, and let my broody back out with the flock about 4-7 days after hatch. There will be some pecking order fights, but a broody mama is a ferocious thing, you may have to monitor at first but she'll make her way.

Back
Top Bottom