Broody Hen: Hatch, Break or Leave Alone???

lrach73

Songster
5 Years
May 4, 2018
Midwest, Kansas
I have a broody buff orpington (she's been on the nest 3 days). Eggs are not fertile (no rooster). She is taking up one of the nesting boxes, which is causing troubles for the remaining hens (they all tend to favor the nest she's in). She has switched sides (nest boxes) a couple of times, so I'm not entirely sure she knows what "clutch" she's trying to hatch.

My choices:
1 - I can purchase 2-3 fertilized eggs to put under her. We wanted to add a couple of chickens to the flock this year. However, I don't really have a place to put her while she's on the clutch and worry about the chicks in with the rest of the flock. Plus, if she decides this hatching business if for the birds, I do not have an incubator and do not intend to purchase one. A side concern: I do NOT want any roosters (had to get rid of two chickens last year that ended up being roosters), which is obviously possibly with fertilized eggs.

2 - I can get a rabbit cage and put her in there to "break" the brood.

3 - I can leave her alone, but she's taking up real estate the others girls want. I would have to add some sort of temporary nesting box in the coop for the other hens.

I like the idea of hatching eggs, but the logistics of it aren't terribly interesting to me. I'm leaning towards #2, but worry I'm disrupting nature too much. Any suggestions? Do I go ahead and buy fertilized eggs and hope it all turns out okay? Do I break the brood? Put in a temporary nest box for the others until she naturally stops brooding? How can you tell when the brood is "broken", if I go that route?

get day old chicks, get sexed chicks, and you have all of the fun of a hen with chicks and none of the problems of hatching or roosters!
Like the chicks at the store, or are those too old? I have to figure out where to put them too. Can they be in boxes inside the coop, or do I need to move them to an entirely separate structure?

Call the feed store and ask when do they get fresh chicks, although I have had this work with a bit older chicks, but a week is too much. If she just went broody, it will be best to let her pretend sit for 10-14 days. Personally, I would take a bucket, put some hay into it, and let your other layers use that for a while. I have never had good luck moving a broody.

Now this is going to sound a bit mean, but it really helps. The day you get your chicks, make sure they all get a drink of water. Just dip their beaks in a little water, then do not take them down to the coop until it is good and dark. Take your chicks outside and let them get a little chilled. They should be peeping madly, and a bit frantic. Do not worry they are fine. Now slip into the darkened coop, keeping a flashlight as dark as possible, pointed close to the floor. Wearing a thick coat and gloves, start shoving the madly peeping chicks underneath the broody hen. She may growl, and she may peck at them, do not worry. Once you get them all under her, you have to do the hardest part. LEAVE AND DO NOT GO BACK.

The chick/broody relationship is a two way relationship. And they both have to work at it. Those cold chicks are going to burrow up tight underneath her, and stick like ticks. It is this cold motion under her, that flips the hormones, from broody as in sitting on a nest to broody, protecting live chicks. They need to work it out amongst themselves. Many people trying to be kind, actually interfering to the point that neither the chicks or the hen will make the bond. Generally once the chicks start to burrow, the hen will begin to cluck to her chicks. The chicks will get warm, and go to sleep and quit peeping madly. You can stand outside the coop and wait for that.

Now what happens to all of mine, is that the next day, the broody hen will get them out of the nest, even if it is up off the floor, and create a new clean nest somewhere on the floor. Never where I think would be a good place. I have learned to just give the coop a good broom-ming out and add fresh bedding and let her do it the way she wants.

After that just feed everyone flock feed or chick starter and calcium on the side. And let her take care of them. So fun to watch.

Good luck,

ps. sometimes doing it this way, you may lose a chick, but I have lost chicks when I was taking perfect care of them, some fail to thrive. The ones that live will be very healthy.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom