Broody hen in winter, what to do?

I have had to clean up after mine twice now for she poohed all over. I now have two dish pans to change out as need. She is due on the 20 th

Same here! the eggs she's sitting on are a mess. I candled them the other day and I just wanted to wash them! I didn't tho because I didn't want to keep them from her for too long. I really need to clean her box out today while I have some time. Any special way to do this without disturbing her too much? And also possibly clean those eggs? I would hate to do anything to make her that upset where she would no longer want to sit on them...

My winter broody mamma's eggs are due today. No action yet. I'm not to optomistic that any will hatch. She's a first timer and when I candled her brown eggs I wasn't seeing what I neede to see to get happy about the situation. But I did order her 13 Red broilers for her to raise. If nothing happens in the next 3 or 4 days Im going to remove those eggs a put my glass eggs under her untill the chicks arrive. I plan on slipping the new chicks under her about 4:00am the next morning after they arrive and see if she'll raise them for me......even if she hatchs some of her own.

Same here! the eggs she's sitting on are a mess. I candled them the other day and I just wanted to wash them! I didn't tho because I didn't want to keep them from her for too long. I really need to clean her box out today while I have some time. Any special way to do this without disturbing her too much? And also possibly clean those eggs? I would hate to do anything to make her that upset where she would no longer want to sit on them...

Washing eggs can be bad. It removes the protective membrane that is on the shell and makes it easier for bacteria to get in. I would just clean the nest out. The hens feather will clean the eggs over time.

I found these in the nest box, they've been sitting on them now for about 2 weeks, so I just left them. I was surprised to find them because we had checked everyday prior to this and no eggs then I got injured at work and a few days went by and suddenly there 10 eggs in the nest, I think a couple of hens are sharing egg duty because I them go in at different times. This is a first for me so not too sure what I'm doing but I figure mother nature knows best and I let it run it's course. Fresh food and water and some extra garden/produce leftovers make them all happy...so for now it's just wait and see what happens. It does get down to about 30 degrees and we do get snow once in awhile but typically the days are 50-60 deg in the winter and summers are 100. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :)
ok recount...14 eggs lol

None of our eggs were viable. Took them all out from under her and replaced them with glass eggs. I'm waiting on chicks to come in the mail to put under her. Poor girl has 4 or 5 days before she has some babies.

Well my hen hatched 8, I throw 2 or 3 out and had to put 4 in the bator. She now has 12 in total. Had to help the last 3 for they got to dried out

Chicks are in. They all came in healthy and fat. So tonight's the night, I'm placing a BUNCH of chicks under her. She's getting 19. I heated the broody/nursery pen. It's at 91 degrees and holding right now. All I have to do is convince her these are her babies.......Here we go.

Well, that attempt failed miserably I'm the one who did it wrong I think. The heat lamp made it too light and the hen could see everything I was doing. I lifted the hen up and placed the chicks in the nest the sat her by the chicks. She growled and her hackles got up. I waited about 20 minutes. She did not warm up to them and started pecking at them. I removed the chicks. Luckily I have another broody on 8 eggs. She's been broody for about 20 days and has been setting on eggs for 12. She's in my greenhouse. It was dark and warm when I went in. I palmed a chick and slid it under her and grabbed an egg on the way out. I repeated this until all the eggs were out and 19 chicks were under her. She did not growl, just a little vocal fuss, but not bad. Right now she is fluffed up covering every one of them. I have a good feeling about this one. I'll keep an eye out throughout the night and check on her at first light. I put her eggs under the other broody. She'll just have to wait another 8 or 9 days for her babies.

I think I am going to have to put my hen out without her baby for she keeps making a big stink in my house. It is the only place that is warm enough for the chicks. There are in the brooder pen but that really is not big enough for her and the chicks for long. The temps are going to be in the 30s and low 40s for the next few weeks. I can not put the chicks outside in the coop in that even with a heat lamp going. I also have 8 roosters out there, really have to do something about that. two are ready to butcher, two will be this spring and the others in late summer. I like them big. Might just have to sell them or give them away. So mamma and babies are doing good.

Back
Top Bottom