Broody hen question

cashela

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
South Eastern NH
My BBW is super broody, since this is new to me, I am wondering how long will she will sit in the house for? She has stopped laying eggs and has no eggs other then the chicken eggs that she steals but I take them away. I keep checking on her and she is just sitting there. I haven't seen her out in a while. I don't like this. I worry about her not eating or drinking (although she is pretty plump). I tried to offer her food and water but she won't eat.

She will sit as long as she wants to :) up to a couple weeks if not on eggs. If you can change her location or take away her nest that will help break the broodiness. Trust me, she does get up and get food and water every so often they are just very sneaky about it. I have a Narri hen that was on a bunch of Peafowl eggs until she got up to eat at dusk last night unfortunately while she was out the peas went to roost and she couldn't get back up to the nest (it was about time to move the eggs to the bator anyway). I Moved her back to her turkey pen and the eggs to the bator and by this am she was not still acting broody.

I agree with GardienneWings she will sit as long as she needs to, and you shouldnt really worry too much..just keep food water very near!

Goodluck!!

I'm so not cut out for being a mom to a turkey. I get way to attached and I worry. I miss seeing her outside and hearing her talk to me. I liked her much better when she wasn't broody
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom