Broody hen question

amillecay

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I have two broody hens both of them went broody the same day (one had been acting broody for a while and then completely went on last Friday) anyway yesterday I had been "trying" to move them since my nesting boxes are to high off the ground for the chicks. One of them went better than the other one. She was obviously sitting on the eggs today because I went out there this afternoon and she was ready to come out of the cage for a bit to get some exercise and a the eggs were still warm so I though I would let her out. The other chicken had already been off her nest so I thought she would go back in a bit although I have no idea how long she had been off of them (she is still up in her nesting box because well I didn't have much luck moving her I'll work on her a little bit later). I went out there an hour later and they were still not on the eggs so I put them in a coop without any other chickens and one sat back down while the other one didn't want to go in, I put her in the box and put a towel over her for a few minutes took it off a little bit and she stayed in. The question I am trying to ask is... I thought they normally just get up for like 20 min then are back on, mine were off for an hour or more is it maybe because they just went broody or maybe because I interrupted yesterday?

I built a broody coop, because my other hens were trying to sit on her while she was nesting. I grabbed her, hubby got the eggs, he put them in the new nest, I put Mama on the eggs & she settled on them & never moved. I also locked her in for a day, just to make sure she did not try to leave. Saw her off her nest about a week ago to stretch her legs & eat some grass. Yesterday she hatched her first chick. it is not her egg. This chick has feathered feet, so Bio Mom is one of my Light Brahmas, Daddy is my GLW.

It would be nice to biuld a broody coop if I ever have the time but right now I just have the cage and stuff in there I can take a picture of the set up right now I have moved that other one that didn't move and she wasn't on the eggs for a while but I locked the other chickens out of the coop for a few hours now sooo we'll see what I get later.

Back
Top Bottom