broody hen this year

kkcummins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
OK, here is the question.
I Have a Black Australorp hen that went broody last May. I gave her 5 eggs and she hatched and raised 3 chicks. The other 2eggs never hatched. she did not go broody again all summer. Is there any likely chance that she will go broody again next spring or should I ask Santa for an incubator? I lost half of my Marans due to 2 evil roosters that have since been sent sent to freezer camp and I want to try to raise some to help replace the ones lost as Marans are very hard to find in Idaho.

Aussies are good mammas and often go broody every year, ours has. There is never any guarantee though and an incubator is never a bad thing to have on hand :) If you plan on raising a decent number of chicks then it would be good to have, if you only want ~10 or so then momma can likely do it.

It's likely she may go broody again, but not a guarantee. I have had hens this year go broody that have never been broody before. The strangest was my 5 1/2 year old hatchery Light Brahma that hasn't laid an egg all year. Others that usually go broody, did not go broody this year - which was fine with me because I had 10 broodies already.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom