Broody Hen Thread!

It looks like I have my answer.

That wouldn't stop my hens. I've seen two in the same nest laying with the third standing on top of them. What's amazing is the two on the bottom didn't seem to mind in the least.

Strange strange little birds.

Had a broody hatch her chicks in my barn. She is a free ranger so I have stolen her chicks for the brooder box before the cats get them. 9 so far but there is more under her. Will steal more tonight in the dark.

Why not just move the hen and her chicks to a safe location for a few weeks? She went through a lot to hatch them out and now will be left with no chicks.
No reason to not give her a chance to raise them.

Yoooooooou! :p
For all the stories you tell about these girls being good at sharing nests, you want me to stick some in an incubator?! :th
It's the small box, isn't it? Of course, the other two will probably go broody this week as well. Once we get the boys processed, I will be rearranging and the broodies will be going in another room. The extra ducks will be going soon too.
Which reminds me, if you want duck meat we will do that too.

Yoooooooou! :p
For all the stories you tell about these girls being good at sharing nests, you want me to stick some in an incubator?! :th
It's the small box, isn't it? Of course, the other two will probably go broody this week as well. Once we get the boys processed, I will be rearranging and the broodies will be going in another room. The extra ducks will be going soon too.
Which reminds me, if you want duck meat we will do that too.

Sounds like a plan, I work Monday and Wednesday, so Tuesday or Thursday. ..take your pick. I can bring more pencil eggs if you want....lol

Why not just move the hen and her chicks to a safe location for a few weeks? She went through a lot to hatch them out and now will be left with no chicks.
No reason to not give her a chance to raise them.

I wish it were possible but I will not risk her chicks to the cats or other predators. I have no pens to put her in at the moment. I meant to take her eggs from her before they hatched and put them in the bator but chicks beat me to it. 13 beautiful Black EE/Blue Jersey Giant chicks.

First picture of new chicks!!! Mom is being so good. First one was hatched late on Friday and I 'think' she has 3 in there right now. There were 5 eggs so maybe two more??? Who knows? :) I put her box down on the lower level but she hasn't offered to take them out yet.

Back
Top Bottom