Broody Hen Thread!

Hello everyone. New mama silkie is off her nest with her 7 little chicks. Its our first successful hatch.
I have a question tho. I was unable to collect eggs today due to foot injury and my broody chochin got off her best to eat drink etc and went back to the nest with the new eggs. First of all....she was supposed to be in lockdown according to my calculations.
Secondly, I had hubs put a small board across her nest yesterday so the new babies that should hatch tomorrow, wouldn't fall out the nest.
Could this have disrupted her and cause her to get off the nest today?
I know that she was not sitting on the other eggs long cause they were barely warm after moving her to the correct nest.
She did settle in immediately and hasn't moved since.
Is this normal?

I was wondering if those quart size waterers were the right size for newly hatched chicks.
What would you use? Quail waterers? I use the waterers like in the pic to raise almost 6000 chicks last year and never had a problem. The only time I used marbles was with some of the silkies and quail.

What would you use? Quail waterers? I use the waterers like in the pic to raise almost 6000 chicks last year and never had a problem. The only time I used marbles was with some of the silkies and quail.  

I had used a little dish with marbles with no problem. But i just recently got this little waterer. BUT should i still use marbles in it for these banty cochin chicks?

What i actually meant was i had wondered until i saw that picture. I was not criticizing.

Last edited:
I had used a little dish with marbles with no problem. But i just recently got this little waterer. BUT should i still use marbles in it for these banty cochin chicks?

What i actually meant was i had wondered until i saw that picture. I was not criticizing.

If the chicks are small---a few clean marbles is good to use for a week or two.

I did not think you were criticizing---I was just curious as to what you would use and why.

If the chicks are small---a few clean marbles is good to use for a week or two.

I did not think you were criticizing---I was just curious as to what you would use and why.

I'll have to dig out the marbles....better safe than sorry.
At least one of the chicks is yellow. Mom is blue and dad is black so i guess the yellow comes from somewhere in their dna.

Boy THAT was fast!! I have another broody hen. It's one of my young hens Hillary. This is her first brood, I'm not sure which direction to with this one. :/

Give her eggs.
Enabler!!!!
yesss.gif

Ohh! Give her unicorn eggs!
wee.gif
Ohh! I want some!

Back
Top Bottom