Broody Hen Thread!

Have you marked the eggs you want to hatch and removed any new ones laid in there daily? Maybe she won't let the others lay in her nest, but good to be sure.
Yes, eggs are marked. And no hen dares to enter HER nest. The bottom ones cautiously enter the coop to lay. Lol she was TOP hen and she most definitely let the others know from the start😂😂

Do your birds free range? I ask because 2 of my hens have to be locked in the house when I free range their flock otherwise they lose their chicks
Yes, free range 90% of the time. We have a privacy fence on all sides and small gaps covered with wire, bricks, stones and wood. But will definitely make sure we are watching closely for the first few days to gauge the situation and make adjustments as needed.

Last edited:
Yes, eggs are marked. And no hen dares to enter HER nest. The bottom ones cautiously enter the coop to lay. Lol she was TOP hen and she most definitely let the others know from the start😂😂

Yes, free range 90% of the time. We have a privacy fence on all sides and small gaps covered with wire, bricks, stones and wood. But will definitely make sure we are watching closely for the first few days to gauge the situation and make adjustments as needed.
I would watch close until they're almost all feathered out. I lost one at 3 weeks when it got lost

Is this her first time?
I've found I can get them used to me, might use a bit of scratch grains as a bribe at first.

She's never been all that friendly. She will take treats nicely so I'll give it a try.

I would watch close until they're almost all feathered out. I lost one at 3 weeks when it got lost
So grateful for everyone's wisdom here. I will definitely keep a close watch.

So Orpy came off the next for a break and her sister, Buffy, jumped on it. There's a standoff now. Do I just leave them or what?? Both are Buff Orpingtons, which are know for going broody if I have researched correctly?
my fear is that Orpy doesn't go back and Buffy is not actually going to stay.

I don’t understand why chickens have a favorite nest. My chickens fight over the same one and will even sit on top of the other chicken even though there are other nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom