Broody Hen Thread!

So Buffy growling and puffing up does not necessarily mean she wants the nest? I've not seen this behavior over laying eggs, the one who wants the occupied nest to lay usually just makes a fuss.

So Orpy came off the next for a break and her sister, Buffy, jumped on it. There's a standoff now. Do I just leave them or what?? Both are Buff Orpingtons, which are know for going broody if I have researched correctly?
my fear is that Orpy doesn't go back and Buffy is not actually going to stay.
that's a pain; watch to see where Orpy goes, and be ready to move her back as soon as Buffy vacates.

that's a pain; watch to see where Orpy goes, and be ready to move her back as soon as Buffy vacates.

We have a camera in the coop so I can watch for her to leave. Orpy has settled in the box next to hers.
But what if Buffy decides she wants to hatch? Can I split up the eggs? We do not have a rooster and I'm not interested in purchasing more fertilized eggs. Lol

We have a camera in the coop so I can watch for her to leave. Orpy has settled in the box next to hers.
But what if Buffy decides she wants to hatch? Can I split up the eggs? We do not have a rooster and I'm not interested in purchasing more fertilized eggs. Lol
Having a camera in there is very handy! If Buffy really is broody yes, why not give them a few eggs each; it can be useful to have two simultaneously. Wait till Buffy gets off for her daily ablutions to take half the eggs, and if Orpy won't overreact to you fiddling with her, slip them under Orpy straight away, or, if Orpy might freak out and break eggs in the process of you inserting them, lift her off the nest and put her down nearby, pop the eggs in, and stand back to let her settle herself back in when and calm down. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom