Broody Hen Thread!

I need advice!!! I posted this a few days ago . The hen in the back (Luna) has 8 eggs under her. The one in the front (Molly) didn't have any.... Now I went out this morning and Molly has 3 eggs... Luna wouldn't let me see how many eggs she had.. When Molly got up to eat Luna took 2 of the eggs!!! Now I went back out and Molly has 3 eggs back!!!! What do I do?? Could they be co-brooding the same eggs??

Oh my gosh! That is funny and cute! You could let them continue but it probably isn't going to go so good for the eggs. Have you tried making them move to separate areas with their own nests? Even penning them away from each other?

Co-brooding would be on the same nest and altho yours would be very close together they are stealing. They are clearly in competition for those eggs! Give them more eggs?

What are those nesting boxes? Always interested in new nest ideas.

Last edited:
I was actually waiting for the weekend so my husband could help build separate cages. I will still try this let's just hope they exchanged the right eggs back . Luna has been sitting for about a week and a half. Molly just started about 3 days ago. I'm going to sneak in tonight and mark the eggs.

The nest box is just 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot .I just cut the lid in half and drilled a few vent holes. They are really handy! I can move them and clean then easily.

I was actually waiting for the weekend so my husband could help build separate cages. I will still try this let's just hope they exchanged the right eggs back . Luna has been sitting for about a week and a half. Molly just started about 3 days ago. I'm going to sneak in tonight and mark the eggs.
wink.png
I think marking the eggs is a great idea. Has Molly been laying eggs into the collection or just stealing? They'll both brood til they have chicks plus a day or 3 for any younger eggs. Take any new ones (un marked) away I guess.

Thank you for the help:) I'm not sure if she is laying them or if they're stolen from Luna....I will just have to mark them and separate them this weekend. Praying everything goes good:)

LOL. I tole you the one in front wouldn't be without eggs for long. Determined girl.

Yes, it is always a good idea to mark fertile hatching eggs to keep them from being confused with eggs laid later.

And it is a very good idea to separate the 2 as they are competing. Others report success with communal brooding but I have never had success...I've experienced egg loss due to the competing...eventually someone steps on an egg or an egg gets kicked out and cold....or the less dominant hen abandons that nest and sets up shop elsewhere even with no eggs.

BTW it doesn't matter which egg goes with which hen unless some eggs have been set later than others. If the crafty bird just stole from the one that was sitting for 1 1/2 weeks and all those eggs were set at the same time, either hen will hatch them and should mother them well if they are good mothers. The 2nd bird won't think any thing is off after another week and half and babes hatch.

However if there has been mixing of different aged eggs...ie some are being freshly laid and included with older eggs that have been set...that will cause a staggered hatch and can cause problems.

Good luck with your 2 very determined broodies. Keep us updated and post pics of babes when they hatch.

Lady of McCamley

I need advice!!! I posted this a few days ago . The hen in the back (Luna) has 8 eggs under her. The one in the front (Molly) didn't have any.... Now I went out this morning and Molly has 3 eggs... Luna wouldn't let me see how many eggs she had.. When Molly got up to eat Luna took 2 of the eggs!!! Now I went back out and Molly has 3 eggs back!!!! What do I do?? Could they be co-brooding the same eggs??

I agree with LadyofM, they are competing, and eventually there will be problems with broken eggs or hurt chicks.... separating them will calm both of them down. As far as which eggs to which hen...
if there are still only 8 you can split them between the two hens if you want, since hens can't count they won't care how many they end up with and won't care how many days the set on them before hatch (though most folks claim hens seem to do better if they get at least a week on the eggs before they hatch)
If there are more than 8... then either the second hen wasn't totally broody when she got in the box and laid a few additional eggs, or they have been stealing them from other nests. Either way, you should be able to tell which are the original 8 by candling, since you say there is a week + difference in when they were set. I am not a very good candler... but I can tell you that an egg which has been set on for 10 days will be mostly dark, with maybe a vein or two still visible, and will have a very defined air cell. Eggs under 5 days will have maybe a darker spot with a lot of veins visible, but won't be solid dark at all yet. If you candle them, just have a towel handy and set them in two piles, one for solid dark, one for nearly clear or veins only.... then separate the hens, give the original setter back her dark eggs and give the new setter her nearly clear eggs.

If you want to get the new setter eggs of her own you can let her set on the dummy eggs a couple of days more and give her fresh eggs... just make sure any eggs given to anyone after you sort it out are marked... probably with an A and a # for hen A and a B with a # for hen B... because the egg stealing may continue if they have any way of doing it!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone:) I will say this is very stressful. Little fluffy lives depend on me not messing up!! My husband wants to know if we could use the kids old playpens for them? Will that work? Instead of building cages?

Back
Top Bottom