Broody Hen Thread!

Oh you are so kind B. You have spent a lot of time giving me suggestions. Its basically no to all of those questions. She is top order eighteen month old chicken, not being picked on, no overcrowding, clean dry coop, no roosters, no lumps or gapeing, all other chickens healthy. I will try the vitamins and electolytes and the yoghurt too. Will get chook starter too If she does not get better I will take her back to the vet next week (an expensive exercise as I am a single mum with seven kids). I will also separate her and bring her inside as you suggest (even though the others leave her alone and do not bother her at all). I will let you know how she goes. I hope all you chickens are happy and healthy. thanks again, cheers. E.

So the peepers have hatched!!! So far I have 3 hatched. I think I am going to name them Cinco and Chilly because it was 5 degrees last night when the first one hatched and it is more than Chilly out (in the teens), but Freezing does not sound as cute.

We will have to see if all 9 hatch.....
wee.gif

So the peepers have hatched!!! So far I have 3 hatched. I think I am going to name them Cinco and Chilly because it was 5 degrees last night when the first one hatched and it is more than Chilly out (in the teens), but Freezing does not sound as cute.

wee.gif

Congrats! They are adorable! And mama looks like she is keeping a close eye on them!
love.gif

I need advice!!! I posted this a few days ago . The hen in the back (Luna) has 8 eggs under her. The one in the front (Molly) didn't have any.... Now I went out this morning and Molly has 3 eggs... Luna wouldn't let me see how many eggs she had.. When Molly got up to eat Luna took 2 of the eggs!!! Now I went back out and Molly has 3 eggs back!!!! What do I do?? Could they be co-brooding the same eggs??

I had two silkies co-parent chicks last summer and they did great. I split a large box in half for two nests...they stole eggs anyway. Then when the chicks hatched they would both call to them. So I pulled the divider and they raised them together. Extra protection and warmth. Once one silkie was done parenting at about 6 weeks, they still had the second mom for another couple weeks. It was amazing.

This is the two silkie mamas outside with the babies between them. :)

wee.gif
It is so cold out there... going to be -5 tonight. Will they be ok? It will probably stay about 20 in coop. I am trying to have faith in mother nature. I spent some time laying by mom and the chicks in the coop and mom sounded kind of raspy while eating.... It is not going to warm up this next week at all here in NH.
I ordered a heated water bowl from amazon.... that should take care of the water situation.

Back
Top Bottom