Broody Hen Thread!

I have a broody hen that is on eggs that are due very soon to be hatching. Will the babies be able to get out of the nesting box eventhough it has 4 inch sides? Also how long after they hatch will it be before momma hen will let us see the babies? Right now she is quite aggressive when I try to lift her to see the eggs.

I have a broody hen that is on eggs that are due very soon to be hatching. Will the babies be able to get out of the nesting box eventhough it has 4 inch sides? Also how long after they hatch will it be before momma hen will let us see the babies? Right now she is quite aggressive when I try to lift her to see the eggs.

Can you put food and water in the nest box for the babies? They may fall out and not be able to get back to their warm mama. Can you move them all to a dog kennel somewhere safer?

I will try to move mama off of the nest and set the eggs in a safer location for her.

If they're due to hatch soon, don't move them until they've hatched. They'll likely stay under mama until they've all hatched anyway, since they'll be wet and cold and need drying off. I'd wait until all hatch and then take the babies first to the kennel, then move mama to her new babies. She should transfer fine.

If they're due to hatch soon, don't move them until they've hatched. They'll likely stay under mama until they've all hatched anyway, since they'll be wet and cold and need drying off. I'd wait until all hatch and then take the babies first to the kennel, then move mama to her new babies. She should transfer fine.
Ok how long after they hatch will they be out from under mama so that I can collect them?

Quote:
You just need to keep an eye on things. Usually all eggs will hatch within 48 hours of each other. How many eggs is she sitting on? She won't take them off the nest for food or water until they've all hatched, or about 48 hours. It's easy to lift her up and see who has hatched and how many eggs are left. It could also be a quick hatch, and if so, and they're all out, just nab the babies, put them in the predetermined nest area, and go right back for mama. Wear gloves, she'll likely be ticked off you took them and fight you until she sees them again.

You just need to keep an eye on things. Usually all eggs will hatch within 48 hours of each other. How many eggs is she sitting on? She won't take them off the nest for food or water until they've all hatched, or about 48 hours. It's easy to lift her up and see who has hatched and how many eggs are left. It could also be a quick hatch, and if so, and they're all out, just nab the babies, put them in the predetermined nest area, and go right back for mama. Wear gloves, she'll likely be ticked off you took them and fight you until she sees them again.
She is sitting on six eggs and yes she was quite ornery earlier when I wanted to check on them. I was watching her and she seems to close her eyes and fall asleep for a minute or two then wake up clucking softly and going back to sleep. Any idea as to what that may mean as far as the hatch?

I have two girls who've decided they'd like to be mommies!
clap.gif
The first one went broody the day before I was planning on filling up my incubator for the first hatch of the year, the other went broody 4 days later. They are both 5 1/2 month old 1/2 bantam 1/2 standard mix girls which surprised me a bit. Is it normal for a hen to go broody so young? They haven't been laying for very long. I'm extremely excited and slightly concerned at the same time... It has been really cold for the last few days. Even down to -6. (-26 with windchill) Is there any chance of the eggs hatching with how cold it's been? Wether their eggs hatch or not, I'd love to try grafting some of my incubator babies to them. Any ideas on how many chicks a banty sized hen can take care of? I've been hoping to find and buy a broody for a while, so when 2 of my girls went broody within days of each other I was elated!
yesss.gif
Thank you all for sharing your stories and experiences.. I've spent waaaaaaaaay too much time on here reading them!
hide.gif

Need a little advice - I have 1 buff sitting on eggs 1 1/2 weeks but now due to chicken math have some day old chicks coming tomorrow. My question is should I try to put the chicks under the buff
and move the eggs to the incubator or just put my chicks in the brooder which is setup. Do you think the hen will accept the chicks or is it too early?
thanks

I have two girls who've decided they'd like to be mommies!
clap.gif
The first one went broody the day before I was planning on filling up my incubator for the first hatch of the year, the other went broody 4 days later. They are both 5 1/2 month old 1/2 bantam 1/2 standard mix girls which surprised me a bit. Is it normal for a hen to go broody so young? They haven't been laying for very long. I'm extremely excited and slightly concerned at the same time... It has been really cold for the last few days. Even down to -6. (-26 with windchill) Is there any chance of the eggs hatching with how cold it's been? Wether their eggs hatch or not, I'd love to try grafting some of my incubator babies to them. Any ideas on how many chicks a banty sized hen can take care of? I've been hoping to find and buy a broody for a while, so when 2 of my girls went broody within days of each other I was elated!
yesss.gif
Thank you all for sharing your stories and experiences.. I've spent waaaaaaaaay too much time on here reading them!
hide.gif

Isn't it so exciting. So happy for you and good luck. Your girls are very pretty and posed well for the picture.
I ended up moving my 2 girls to seperate broody pens because one of my girls go chased off her nest after about day 7 oh i was frustrated - good luck!
I just love see my girls sitting on their eggs and being so protective love it.

Back
Top Bottom