Broody Hen Thread!

If she is acting broody----did you break her from the broodiness? Or she is still setting?

HI there,

I was successful in breaking her of her broodiness. But it's been 7 days of no eggs. So, she laid for three weeks, went broody for three days (sitting on the nest day and night), and for one week has not been broody, eats, sleeps, drinks, etc., but NO eggs.

How long does this last?

If I have one going broody and I do not want her to set----I just put her in a elevated wire bottom cage with food and water----no bedding. In about 3 days---she is over it---simple. Taking them out the nest a few times a day does not usually work.

If I had access to that kind of setup I'd have done that.

HI there,

I was successful in breaking her of her broodiness. But it's been 7 days of no eggs. So, she laid for three weeks, went broody for three days (sitting on the nest day and night), and for one week has not been broody, eats, sleeps, drinks, etc., but NO eggs.

How long does this last?
Its according to the hen----most of mine that I break are back to laying in a week or so----maybe soon.

My hen sits on the nest at night but not during the day anymore. She usually roosts but has been sleeping in the nest the last 3 days. Why is that?
Thats not unsusual. I check on my chickens after dark often----if I see a chicken in the nesting box or anywhere besides the roost after dark. I move them to the roost. Some times I might have to do this 2 or 3 times---but they usually get "it". Just move her for a couple nights if needed..

Its according to the hen----most of mine that I break are back to laying in a week or so----maybe soon.

Thank you for that encouragement! I was so bummed because she is my first layer, then she got broody so quickly, and then I read that it could be MONTHS before she started again. I hope a week or two is more accurate. Oh, and I hope that the other three also start laying. Haha

Just checked on pj and there's half a shell sitting outside the nest! There was also an egg! I stuck it back under the front of her. I hope it's ok.

Well hopefully this will be the last of the new additions this year...Fluffy Silkie is in her CT mothering her little family of three...Big White should be hatching out her EE chicks some time today, in the other CT....and then there is Little Gray Bird...she has 6 Cream Legbar eggs to mind...have to do a bit of candleing today to sort out any duds....with luck I will be introducing some of the new families to the greater population....and then it will be time to get ready for the Big Freeze....so far I feel confident that I've got a handle on it....but as many can relate to...it doesn't take much to have things slip thru your fingers....and so much for having a Handle on it....well, one thing I've learned in my 59 years on this earth.....You Never Know!!!
1f600.png

Had an odd thing happen. Anastasia went broody for the third time this year. I work 12 hr days and by the time I got to mark eggs there were 11 under her. Anyway when I checked yesterday 3 were hatched and 3 pipped. This morning there was 5 hatched and one in which nearly the whole shell was gone and I could see baby wiggling in the membranes. I thought, must be shrink-wrapped. But I picked it up and was able to easily peel the membranes away. They were not stuck to the chick. Would mom have removed all that shell? And I wonder if I left it alone would she have removed the membrane? Never seen that before. Fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom