Broody Hen Thread!

Question for al you seasoned hatchers!

My broody hen is due to hatch her chicks in a few days,  I also have 11 chicks I purchased just before she decided to sit.  What I need to know is....can I put the month old store bought chicks in the same coop with the broody once she has her chicks?  This is our first broody...first hatch!  Will she hurt the older chicks if they get too close or rambunctious?  I can put them behind a wire enclosure if need be.  Just hoping I won't have to and they will all have access to the same food and water.  I don't want her to get stressed or something with the other juveniles in the same house and abandon her new chicks.

She won't abandon her chicks, but most likely won't tolerate the older ones anywhere close to her...out of 20 broodies here at our place I can only think of 2 who would tolerate that situation and some would be downright nasty about establishing her territory.
Best option would be a separating fence for a few days at least then evaluate again after her chicks are a week old...it is also possible that the older chicks can attack the younger ones because they consider them intruders and competition for food. A lot of supervision will be needed until introductions are complete and everyone seems settled.

Thanks! Still only appears to be two. I moved the food within reach of the hen and she attacked it with gusto and clucked for her chicks to "come get it!" She nudged them towards it and they stood in the bowl gobbling away. So proud of my first time mama who wasn't raised by a hen and is still doing a fab job! I showed one of the chicks to my other ladies who were completely freaked out by it and as scared of it as the soccer ball. There was a chicken stampede to get away from the cheepy thing.

Ma brought em out in the run 2 days ago and out in the big world today!!

Thanks Fisherlady,

I removed the roost. You should see mama right now. Its about time to get up there with the chicks and she just keeps looking up like, "I know it was there a minute ago"...darn
Now lets hope she doesnt decide to take them up on the supports for the roost, those arent so easy to remove. lol
I put a short four by four in my brooder on the floor. That gets them out of the shavings, but not really up. Then in a few weeks I move it to blocks as a practice roost.

Hi all! I know this is a broody hen thread but it's the best one I know with the most help! I'm hatching 8 duck eggs that I'm really nervous about! They range from 3/2 to 3/5 as the day I put them in- what I'm worried about is lockdown! The eggs from 3/2 are currently on day 25- putting the latest ducklings on day 22. What do I do to ensure that they all hatch safely and on time. Their most recent candling puts them in a very good position- they all look to be thriving and very close in development. Any advice on how to make sure my babies hatch safely would be greatly appreciated!
have you seen Sally's notes section at the beginning of the incubating with friends thread(the fast moving thread with over 75,000 posts). There is a ton of material and links there.

Last edited:
Question for al you seasoned hatchers!

My broody hen is due to hatch her chicks in a few days, I also have 11 chicks I purchased just before she decided to sit. What I need to know is....can I put the month old store bought chicks in the same coop with the broody once she has her chicks? This is our first broody...first hatch! Will she hurt the older chicks if they get too close or rambunctious? I can put them behind a wire enclosure if need be. Just hoping I won't have to and they will all have access to the same food and water. I don't want her to get stressed or something with the other juveniles in the same house and abandon her new chicks.

For the most part I agree with fisherlady. If there's plenty of room in the coop all should be well. Most hens will drive strange chicks away, but not hurt them. But if there is not room the strange chicks will be hurt as the mother hen will not be able too shoo them off; and she isn't likely to allow them close by.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom