Broody Hen Thread!

Well I made a broody chart, for those who would like it, it is editable, in excel, but the site wont allow me to attach it or upload it. So PM me is you would like to use it. I really think it came in handy with keeping track of which chick hatched from which egg. I don't have a defined breeding program yet, but this is starting me off in the right track, and it is more for using broody hens rather than for incubation. I wanted some feedback on it too, maybe something I am missing that might be essential to monitor during developement....

Sent PM :) Always looking for better ways to track my breeders and offspring..started this adventure to get quality birds to our 4H kids and never expected to love it so much and look forward to improving on them every year.

I would trim her spurs a bit, not so much for length but to make sure they are well rounded at least. We use a Dremel Tool to cut them off, the grinding wheel allows us to then round the ends quite well.

X2
Even the PediPaws version for dogs works but it doesn't have as much power as a regular dremel.. rounding is definitely priority over length :)

PD-Riverman - Last year when she she went broody under our deck steps, I could not reach her, to put food and water near her, she was too far back. I had it about 5 feet away from her, guess she got up, because every afternoon the food & water were empty. But it could have been the other hens eating & drinking her food. I put it as close as I could, but then had to battle the hens who still wanted to lay their eggs near her. I tried to block it off, but the hens still found their way in. The only time she came out was when the snake came & ate all the eggs, and then she was nutty for a couple of days, trying to find the eggs that were taken.
Her first two hatches (2 years & 3 years ago), she was in my 3 ft x 5 ft broody house, I would leave the back door open, near where she was setting, and had to sit away from the door, in order to keep the other hens from going in to bother her. I kept out of her line of sight, so she would not see me, she never came out to poop, dust bath or eat grass. I would find her poop across from where she was nesting. 2 years ago, they only way I got her out, after the chicks had hatched, was to scoop her out. All the eggs had hatched, it was 3 days later. I brought her in with her chicks, and she clucked and fussed at them, and let them climb all over her. Everyday, I took her away from the chicks, so she could stretch her legs, and all she did was come back on the deck, wanting to be let in with her chicks. It took her two weeks to decide she was done, and move back to the coop. The chicks stayed in the house overnight for 6 weeks, then outside on the deck for another 3 weeks, till they were old enough to live in the 3 x 5 foot broody house. My husband wanted them moved earlier, and that is when a snake came in the coop and smothered two of the chicks, they were 2 months old.
4 years ago, I had 2 Buff Orph. go broody a week apart, I built them each their own broody house, out of a wooden pallet. Had their food and water in front of them, and left their door open for them during the day, after the first week of setting. Neither hen came out of their house, I blocked the run, so no other hens would bother them, but they never came out. One hatched 5 out of 6 eggs, and the other hatched 4 out of 5 eggs. They came out 3 days after their eggs hatched, but stayed close to their broody house. Both stayed with their chicks for 2 weeks, and then they were done, and went back with their flock. I have assisted with chicks too tired to hatch out, splayed feet/legs. I splinted 2 and in 24 hrs, they were right as rain, one is my rooster Cotton. I lost 1, it's little feet were too badly damaged. But that is life.
I take my cues from my hens, if they want to set, I let them set, if they want out, I let them out. I have only had 3 hens go broody in 4 years, and they all stayed put, and if that is what they want to do, I let them do it.
I am sorry if my keeping food & water close to my hen is not the way you do your hens. If that is how you roll, and if it works for you, good on ya. But please don't tell me my way is wrong, or I am not giving them a chance to move around. Been doing this the same way for 4 years, and hatched out happy chicks, except for the snake year. Everyone has their own way of doing.

Even with all this room, Miss Ramin refuses to get off her eggs and walk around. She will lean over and eat & drink, and she had 3 more poops in the last 4 days.

PD-Riverman - But please don't tell me my way is wrong, or I am not giving them a chance to move around. Been doing this the same way for 4 years, and hatched out happy chicks, except for the snake year. Everyone has their own way of doing.
I Never said You Were Wrong---I was saying if you were putting food in front of her----why would she want to get off the nest when she has food and water in front of her----she will just set there, eat, drink and poop---- I was Only offering info ---only trying to help.

Light Sussex sat on 12 copper X cuckoo maran eggs due next Saturday and goldtops have just started being broody today, both of them started today

do any of you guys have a Hen with spurs? Mine that is broody I am worried about the spurs gouging the chicks after hatch, what is your experience, do you remove or clip/trim before hatch, put corks on them?

TIA much appreciated! <3

I have one with Spurs no problems at all. Here she is with her new batch of Dominique chicks. Her spurs are about an inch long. You can zoom in to see them.

Last edited:
Just heard cheeps from under Ramin, so one of Ramin's Banty eggs hatched.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

One of the Easter Egger eggs is cold, she never kicked it out, it is under her wing. Will wait to see what happens come Monday with that one.

I have a good brooder hen with very large spurs. She has never hurt her babies but she has cut me up pretty good when I got very close to her babies! (It was my fault, I wasn't paying attention when I was cleaning the coup & I got too close.)

One of my Buffs is doing the exact same thing! I just got some fertilized eggs for her to sit on so I'm anxious to see if it works!

Back
Top Bottom