Broody Hen Thread!

I understand what you are trying to do and why. I advise that before you suspect your eggs will hatch that you have a back up incubator ready in case the donated eggs hatch late. Once Momma leaves the nest with her new babies that's it. With an incubator they will have a chance to finish up, especially if you have eggs from your deceased hen that you want to give a chance.

Good luck with your hatch and keep us informed.

I posted a while ago that my Mille is hatching some eggs, (Ive added 2 more since then, theyre due tomorrow) but Im in a worry state like I always do before chicks. The coop is off the ground, and has a wired floor, and the nest box is above that and a ladder is up to the boxes. But Im worried on whether to bring the chicks inside and raise them under a lamp, or let the mama raise them. I want them to be friendly but also for the mille to be happy, and not have the chicks accidently fall down and hurt themselves to get the food. Any advice? I can add coop photos if wanted.

Last edited:
I posted a while ago that my Mille is hatching some eggs, (Ive added 2 more since then, theyre due tomorrow) but Im in a worry state like I always do before chicks. The coop is off the ground, and has a wired floor, and the nest box is above that and a ladder is up to the boxes. But Im worried on whether to bring the chicks inside and raise them under a lamp, or let the mama raise them. I want them to be friendly but also for the mille to be happy, and not have the chicks accidently fall down and hurt themselves to get the food. Any advice? I can add coop photos if wanted.

Can you bring in mama and her eggs? Put her in a dog crate, a bath tub, or any sort of confining space? Letting mama raise up her babies is always best. But I agree w/ you that the wire bottom cage and ladder are a probably not best for newborn babies.

Babies are pretty chill for the first week so you can use anything you have around your house for the first week until you can get a better set up.

I'm completely new to this.
I went to a wedding on Nov.10th and when I got back on the 14th, my husband said, "somethings wrong with one of your chickens. She won't leave the nesting box and she pecks me when I get near her. So I left her and her eggs alone."
I haven't touched her because I don't want to break the eggs.
So my question is, shouldn't the eggs be hatching soon?

Last edited:

I'm completely new to this.
I went to a wedding on Nov.10th and when I got back on the 14th, my husband said, "somethings wrong with one of your chickens. She won't leave the nesting box and she pecks me when I get near her. So I left her and her eggs alone."
I haven't touched her because I don't want to break the eggs.
So my question is, shouldn't the eggs be hatching soon?
If your eggs have not hatched they should within the next day or so. Candling the eggs, shine a flashlight through the eggs in a dark room, will give you an idea if they are developing. Good eggs will be dark with a light spot at the rounded end. If the light passes through and the whole egg is lit up, they are not fertile. Good luck.

I tried to leave my broody outside with her eggs, but came home to find she had moved away from the nest with 3 perfect chicks, but one was laying dead in the nest box, looked like it had just hatched, because it wasn't at all fluffy. And 2 more eggs that were half zipped. They were dead too. If I had been home, I probably would have caught it, but such is life.

So I brought the broody and her 3 babies inside, and also gave her 5 of the chicks that I hatched in the incubator. I had the ones I hatched in another brooder, and she was on high alert when they whined, so I slipped the main whiner under her wing one evening. The next day I gave her 2 more, then 2 more... Even gave her the last 4 with the light on. I sat them in while her back was turned. Maybe since they look so similar, she couldn't tell, but she gladly accepted them all.

Sara the Serama with her 8 babies. I'm worried that 8 may be too many for her as they grow, but I guess I can always take a couple back.

Excuse the mess. Momma is making more of it than the chicks are! lol

Back
Top Bottom