Broody Hen Thread!

I have a broody hen and today was hatch day, sadly none of the babies made it past pipping. Only two made it to hatch day.(one hen decided to go crazy and when momma hen was eating and ate five of the nine and two weren't fertile.) How can I ease her back to normal. Poor thing is still waiting on them to hatch
1f62d.png

Are you saying the Momma hen got off the nest with the chicks hatching on her own?

Are you saying the Momma hen got off the nest with the chicks hatching on her own?

Yeah, one wasn't under her at all and was cold. It was her first time with eggs. I checked the other egg and it had yellow and red ooze in it and I looked into it with the flashlight and it was a goner. Hoping her sister has better luck with her eggs. I separated them both into brooder coops.

I have two broody hens (light brahmas) in the same a small coop i have that i like to call a little nursery and i was curious that if the two would get along if they both hatch there clutches of eggs
and this is my first time hatching eggs with hens and would like to know how they would react to each other and if one will take over the other's clutch of eggs
play it safe and separate them...some hens will attack and injure even kill strange chicks.

Butting in here with a question. I have a hen who has been broody in nature (sounding off when I open the nest box, won't let other chickens near the nest, and all feathers raised in irritation when I get too close) since she laid her first egg a couple months ago. I gave her some ceramic eggs to "set" and she has been on them and doing right for 2 weeks so I decided to get her some foster eggs. Now suddenly today, she wasn't on the nest for long and hasn't returned. Her foster eggs will be here tomorrow and I do not have an incubator on hand (dumb mistake, I know). What should I do at this point? Give them to her and hope for the best?.

Butting in here with a question. I have a hen who has been broody in nature (sounding off when I open the nest box, won't let other chickens near the nest, and all feathers raised in irritation when I get too close) since she laid her first egg a couple months ago. I gave her some ceramic eggs to "set" and she has been on them and doing right for 2 weeks so I decided to get her some foster eggs. Now suddenly today, she wasn't on the nest for long and hasn't returned. Her foster eggs will be here tomorrow and I do not have an incubator on hand (dumb mistake, I know). What should I do at this point? Give them to her and hope for the best?.

Get an incubator
lol.png
Sorry to not have any other constructive advice.

Gotta agree with @lpyrbby. You're sorta kinda between a rock and a hard place. If your hen is a first time broody, I would not trust her as being reliable at this point in time unless she glues her fluffy butt to that nest between now and even then I wouldn't trust her too far. If you have eggs coming tomorrow, I'd take Lpyrbby's advice and get yourself an incubator PRONTO!

Hopefully your hen will settle down as she matures and gets her act together.

She is a smart hen----after setting 2 weeks---she knows these eggs are not going to hatch-----so she has given up!!! Maybe??

Were the eggs you gave her cold eggs, or warm eggs from another broody hen?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm new here but have plenty of questions lol! I have 6 hens all over a year old. I'm interest in trying to hatch a clutch of eggs using a broody hen or two. I'm not sure of my breeds since it's never mattered too much to me. They're a mixed flock. I have one lady in mind because she shows the most signs of going broody. This morning I found her on the best AGAIN! She's my sweetest hen and today she squaked at me in that shrill tone and puffed up very large. However, she's still laying! Do you think she's going broody? Is there anything I can do to help it along?

You could try leaving fake eggs in the nest, One a day and see if the accumulation of eggs sets her off in earnest. Speckled Sussex are a 'broody' variety of chickens so she may take it serious for you in a day or two. Given that she is a first time broody if she does take it seriously, leave her with the fake eggs for 5 days and make sure she isn't going to abandon the real thing. I wouldn't leave her on the fakes for too long or she might just give up.

Good luck! And
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you ! I was going to put a few golf balls in the container that I'm setting up tomorrow for her. If she doesn't take the real thing it's not much of a loss. I'm buying fertilized eggs from a mixed flocks for 3 dollars a dozen first.. no way am I putting out for the rare breeds until I'm certain how this all goes lol

Back
Top Bottom