Broody hen verfies cool down

Yiannisk

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2012
I spend the morning watching and waiting my broody hen to leave the nest
she left around 10am she went first to drink water then poo, eat, drink again,
took earth bath then eat again, again earth bath, shake her body and wings stood for a while
in the shade of a tree flapping her wings and finally buck to the nest almost an hour and 15 minutes later.
Incubating season is over for me summer is here but next season i will incorporate one hour cool down period in my fridge, and Styrofoam incubators

You have observed well! Until those last couple of days (and sometimes not even then), a hen spends more time off the nest than is realized. That is why I candle frequently, while she is off the next (or the eggs in the little Brinsea. ) Not to worry, it is best for the eggs to have the slight cooling (on the outside) as the embryo stays safely warm in the shell protection. Nearly always have 100% hatch. The warning NOT to open the incubator is not valid, but taking time to shift eggs positions in a Styroform incubator will keep the eggs more uniform temperature over the 21 days--and the cooling won't affect hatchability. Other factors can be difficult with incubators--they are great, but well located setting hens are BETTER IMHO

Back
Top Bottom