Broody Hen with Featherless Stomach

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Hello!
I've noticed one of my Jersey Giants has become broody, and spends a lot of her time in the nesting boxes. I didn't notice this yesterday, and I did collect eggs from underneath her before, but when I did today she didn't feel right. I pulled her out and flipped her on her back to reveal a naked stomach! It's featherless, and is such a large patch I'm really surprised I didn't see/feel it earlier. My first instinct was to check her for mites, but I didn't see any obvious things on her skin. I have a video I can post later to show y'all what I mean, but it's so weird...
Her skin looks healthy, it's not discolored or flaky. Do broody hens pull their feathers out? I looked around in her nest and didn't see them there.
Thanks!

Yes, broody hens pluck out their stomach feathers to keep the eggs warmer :)
Will their abdomen feel larger also? I have another I just drained so I may be pretty paranoid. All the others feel pretty small like tennis ball size. This broody one feels like a large softball

Last edited:
That's normal. Broody hens will pluck out their chest feathers to have skin contact with the eggs and control the temperature better.

Back
Top Bottom