Broody hens hatching 6/22, 6/26, 7/3, 7/6, 7/11 Any one due w/ us

If I didn't do anything to screw it up: I think my four eggs will hatch on 7/6 (21 days, right?).

One of my Black Stars has sat on them consistantly except for a few hours the day after I moved her nest to a more secluded area. But, following another post, I will have to agree that you almost don't need a Broody or incubator. I could set my eggs on the lawn and it would be hot enough!!!
big_smile.png

I have 2 broodies (a Silkie and a Cochin), both due on 7/8. Between the 2 of them the eggs they have are: 3 white Silkie, 5 Frizzle Cochin, 3 black Cochin, 4 Butterscotch Booted Bantam, & 3 Mottled D'Uccle.

I have a broody BO sitting on 5 eggletts. 2 blue EE eggs and 3 BO/EE mixes. I'm excited cause this will be my first broody hatch. Due 7/4.

Then another girl went broody and she's stolen a couple of the 5 eggs. Closer to hatch date, I'm going to kick out broody number 2 and wire over the opening to the nest.
lol.png
I can't let them hatch chicks together or some babeh might get kilt!

yippiechickie.gif
more hatching buddies
yippiechickie.gif

walks I hear you , the hens needed to start earlier.

Matt you have to post pictures of them babies, turkey poults are soo cute.
clap.gif

cemcnair, 21 days is right but hens will hatch early sometimes.
Were in NW AR are you I'm 30 min SW of Ft Smith.
frow.gif

KellyHM , you have 2 great broody breeds, if cochins were cleaned legged I would have to have some, cant wait to see pictures.
love.gif

Chicky Tocks , this is a great year for broodys. Your not far from me
frow.gif
howdy neighbour.

Well its 100 deg out side
barnie.gif

its about right to hatch eggs outside with no help from hen or bator

Well I just couldn't stand it any longer I checked the eggs from broody #5 I found 1 chick still alive
fl.gif
I have it in the bator I hope it makes it found 2 chicks had died at around 18 /19 days.
All the rest were rotten
sickbyc.gif
I had an egg explode in my face it hit me right in the eye. When I picked it up I felt it was liquid and was trying to put it down and pop. My eye hurts now.

I sure hope that ameraucana baby makes it.

I have 1 broody silkie that is sitting on a duck egg. the egg should hatch on 7/11 or 7/17 depending on what type of duck egg it is. lol. good luck to everyone's hatches!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Okiehen, thanks for your advice. The kids and I made sure momma had water and food in the crate with her and we took off for Busch Gardens to meet the husband and have some fun. Getting out of there was probably the best thing or else I would be down in the coop watching every minute of it!! When we left she had hatched out 3 chicks that looked like pure australorps and a 4'th was pipped and zipped as I've heard it said on this site. I'm still hoping for that australorp/buff mutt but I guess we'll see in the morning!! Hope they all hatch cause I don't want to deal with any exploding eggs - yuk! Maybe tomorrow I'll post some pics - we got a few good ones of the 3 poking their little heads out. Too cute!!

Quote:
I am real new to this. We have two new babies. One is fine, the other, I don't know about. The MamaHen was chipping away at the egg, or what was left of it, anyway. Most of the shell was gone, and the chick was contained in the membrane, which was totally dry. I was afraid to give it back to Mama and helped it along myself. Now, from what I've read, maybe that was not such a good idea. Is it normal for the hen to peck at the hatching eggs?
My hen is sitting on SO many eggs. I can't imagine they will all hatch.
Do they explode from the heat (which we have none, here in NE) or is it because they have gone rotten? I am sure some of these eggs are not viable.... there are just too many.
We only found the nest in our barn loft fairly recently, but we knew she must be setting because she kept disappearing for long periods. We had to move her this morning when the first chick hatched. Her nest was up on top of two-high stack of hay. She has accepted it just fine, thankfully. She seems to be a good Mom.

I stuffed the hatched chicks under the broody turkeys last night.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Haven't checked them yet today - I hope this takes and they've accepted them.

Well, here's an update. I checked my mamma this am and found 4 hatched chicks and it appears one of them may be the mutt mix I was hoping for. Mostly black with a brownish colored mask. Very interesting looking combo from one of my buff hens and australorp roo. Sadly I found that two eggs had been cracked open completely with the membrane mostly removed, whether by Momma or not, I don't know. There were 2 chicks in one egg - both dead and 1 chick in the other - dead as well. Since there were only 8 eggs all total and I have 4 hatched chicks and 2 eggs still unhatched, one must have been a double yoker. They were well developed, just not completely out of the shell/membrane. Also smelled bad - so could they have been dead in the eggs for a few days? Guess I'll never know. Anyway, I'm giving the last 2 eggs a little longer to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom