Broody or Egg Bound?

FeatherFox

Hatching
Feb 12, 2016
I have a Rhode Island Red hen named Helen, and has been in the nest box all day. One of my other hens was egg bound recently, and I am a little concerned that she is egg bound, too. However, unlike my other hen who I could clearly tell was trying to push an egg out, Helen was pushing at all. Every time I open the door into the nest box, I am greeted by a loud cluck and her ruffling her feathers possibly trying to appear bigger. Trying to feel the eggs under her or moving her was not allowed! I put another egg in there to see what she would do, and after intensely staring at it for a moment, she rolled it under her. Does anyone have any ideas whether she is broody or not? Thanks in advance!

That loud squawk and ruffling of feathers...sounds like a broody bird to me. If you pick her up and she Ruffles her feathers & feels limp, like dead weight...that's a broody bird.

To me, an egg bound bird looks like they are in pain. They tend to stay by themselves a lot, and they just don't seem....happy. (For lack of a better word.)

Back
Top Bottom