Plymouth Rock gone broody???

KJV1611

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
I noticed today, that 1 of my Barred Plymouth Rocks was hanging out in the nest box longer than usual. I didn't think much of it at the time, so I left her alone. She entered the nest box around 10:50am. As I went to close up the coop at 4:30pm, she was still in the box.

Every time I got near her box, she would holler at me. She was doing the whole laying flat and fluffed out thing. I was getting worried though, as I was hoping she wasn't egg bound. Because the kicker is, she is about a week shy of 7 months old.

I went back down to the coop around 6:00pm to check on her. And she was still in the box. And being that I don't have a rooster, none of my eggs are fertile anyways. So I pulled her out of the nesting box, and I noticed her bare belly. When I set her down, she dropped a rather large poop. So she had all of the textbook signs of being broody. The funny thing is, she was only sitting on 1 egg. This is my first year raising chickens, so this stuff is all new to me. I just thought I'd share. God bless.

Back
Top Bottom