Broody or sick

Belovedturkey

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
I have a broody hen who has been broody for around five days, I’ve been trying to break her by taking her out but it’s not working and I’m starting to wonder if this is normal because recently she’s started itching or pruning every time she’s not laying down and if she’s not brooding she’s puffed up. She also squaks with any people or chickens around and chickens are fighting her. Is this normal for being broody and if so how can I stop it
IMG_7642.jpeg
IMG_7640.jpeg

Oh, she is very broody! No harm in examining her for lice/mites, but my broodies are always insane about grooming and sometimes choose dust baths over even food and water as their most important need. Yes, they run around angry trying to intimidate everyone; I think it's how they naturally establish stronger boundaries with other flockmates so once babies hatch, she doesn't have to work as hard to defend them.

Thanks for all the help I’ve never had a broody hen before because I don’t have roosters. I did suspect that the pecking was normal but I wanted to make sure and I’ve already checked she doesn’t have mites or lice.

Oh, she is very broody! No harm in examining her for lice/mites, but my broodies are always insane about grooming and sometimes choose dust baths over even food and water as their most important need. Yes, they run around angry trying to intimidate everyone; I think it's how they naturally establish stronger boundaries with other flockmates so once babies hatch, she doesn't have to work as hard to defend them.
I’m only confused because at this point she’s not even sitting on eggs just in a nesting box and we have no roosters

I’m only confused because at this point she’s not even sitting on eggs just in a nesting box and we have no roosters
Broodiness is caused by hormones. Having a rooster or not does not affect if a hen will go broody, just the fertility of the eggs. Looks like she's a Buff Orpington? Buff Orpingtons have a reputation for being one of the broodiest breeds as she's already proven to you! Your best bet on breaking her is putting her in broody jail.

Broodiness is caused by hormones, so a hen can go broody whether a rooster is present or not. Looks like she's a Buff Orpington? Buff Orpingtons have a reputation for being one of the broodiest breeds as she's already proven to you! Your best bet on breaking her is putting her in broody jail.
Yes she is a buff Orpington, I’ll see about broody jail but I’m low on room right now

I am in the middle of a hormonal hell hole with multiple broodies.
I tried breaking one by popping frozen bottles of water under her. She just happily warmed them up.
Another tried to hatch little baby kitchen scales because I hauled her out to weigh her.
They certainly don’t need eggs to sit on!
What you describe sounds like normal broody behavior.
You have my sympathies.

Back
Top Bottom