broody or sick? ?

jakiee10

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
I have a rhode island red whom laid her egg in the nesting box and then went of to the waterer and sat there and has not moved ever since. The rooster tries to do his mating dance which he always does but always gets interrupted because as soon as he does the dance the hen runs away from him. But today she just layer on the ground with out caring about the rooster. When I came out to feed everyone, all the chickens ran to eat while the hen simply turned to see what was going on but had no intrest in food. The continued to lay and sleep. I went to put an egg she had laid under her to see if she was broody but nothing, I had to forced it under her. Thought she was broody but now Im thinking she may be sick. I have not had a broody hen before so not sure what this means.
PLEASE HELP!

If she's not laying on her nest she's not acting broody. If you can, remove her from the group so you can check her over thoroughly. How does her comb and wattle look? Are they red or kind of pale. Can you take pictures of her? Also by separating her you can look at just her poop and let us know exactly what it looks like or take a pictures again if you can.

I have a rhode island red whom laid her egg in the nesting box and then went of to the waterer and sat there and has not moved ever since. The rooster tries to do his mating dance which he always does but always gets interrupted because as soon as he does the dance the hen runs away from him. But today she just layer on the ground with out caring about the rooster. When I came out to feed everyone, all the chickens ran to eat while the hen simply turned to see what was going on but had no intrest in food. The continued to lay and sleep. I went to put an egg she had laid under her to see if she was broody but nothing, I had to forced it under her. Thought she was broody but now Im thinking she may be sick. I have not had a broody hen before so not sure what this means.
PLEASE HELP!

Isolate her w/ food and water. See how her poop looks. Consult the poop chart. Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, really hard. Check her whole body for injuries and parasites. Listen to her breathing to see if it's normal. Post again with any findings or continued listlessness.

If she's not laying on her nest she's not acting broody.  If you can, remove her from the group so you can check her over thoroughly.  How does her comb and wattle look?  Are they red or kind of pale.  Can you take pictures of her?  Also by separating her you can look at just her poop and let us know exactly what it looks like or take a pictures again if you can. 

She just stood up and pooped on the egg and found another spot to lay:(

Isolate her w/ food and water. See how her poop looks. Consult the poop chart. Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, really hard. Check her whole body for injuries and parasites. Listen to her breathing to see if it's normal. Post again with any findings or continued listlessness.
I have noticed that she has been drinking water just not food. I already isolated her, but having found anything out of the ordinary physicaly?

Try coaxing her to eat some scrambled eggs or even yogurt. Her poop looks a bit watery to but it makes sense if she's drinking a lot but not eating. Do you have any vitamin e with selenium on hand or a children's poly vi sol without iron?

Last edited:
Try coaxing her to eat some scrambled eggs or even yogurt. Her poop looks a bit watery to but it makes sense if she's drinking a lot but not eating. Do you have any vitamin e with selenium on hand or a children's poly vi sol without iron?

No I dnt have any but I'll try to make her eat scrambled eggs

Back
Top Bottom