Broody other than silkie

Cochins! Oh and the two Olive Eggers I got from Meyer Hatchery last year have been broody about eight times each and they're only a year a half old. They're Ameraucana/Marans. Neither my pure bred Ameraucana nor my Black and Blue Copper Marans have yet to be broody so I'm not sure what it is about the two from Meyer but they are a couple of broody butts!

Nutmeg (OE from Meyer) actually just hatched a clutch yesterday.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC. Cochins, gamefowl, Orpingtons are all good broody breeds. Austra whites are primarily egglayers, and it is questionable if they will go broody.

Thanks guys and has anyone here had austra whites

You're welcome. I've had Austra Whites and I like them very much. They are excellent layers and take more after their Black Australorp fathers in temperament than their White Leghorn mothers as they are pretty docile. However, sourland is correct, Austra Whites rarely go broody.

I replied before, but did not list the one breed I know is the most broody; because of their small size. Seramas. I had a three month old pullet lay six eggs this summer and go broody. Another at four months laid eight eggs and went broody; a second four month old pullet went broody at the same time on six eggs. A fourth pullet started to brood at four and a half months after laying just five eggs. If they were larger I do not think any other breed would could match seramas. With their tiny size they are only able to cover six-eight eggs of their own. A couple of these young birds brooded four Japanese bantam eggs each and their nests were full. Chicks have since hatched and the hens and chicks have formed a single group; each hen helping to care for all the chicks. I am wondering what will happen when hen 4 brings out her new chicks that will be a week younger than the rest. I don't think it will matter as I often see chicks and hens resting near the brooding hen-we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom