Broody poop but not broody?

millietime

Songster
Jan 4, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi BYC!
I have a hen that has been having broody poops but has no broody behavior. The poops have been going on about a week. She does have a history of going broody so this is unusual for her (she has no problem sitting in a nest when she is broody). She has been a little withdrawn since she started her first molt this year but otherwise is eating and drinking fine. Could this be related to hormone change with molting? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help and insight

When you say broody poops, are you seeing extra large poops that are otherwise well formed? Often, the first poop in the morning is quite large, so are you seeing them throughout the day? What breed is she? I suspect it might just be her normal.

Hi, she is a small game fowl/jungle fowl. I’ve had her about a year and it’s not her normal. It’s not just a large morning poop. It is broody in size, consistency, and smell.

And more than once a day?

How is her crop? Squishy or over full or hard?

Try some probiotics or a little plain yogurt for her. Could be a slight upset in her digestive system. I've never heard of this problem before. Maybe she is missing her broody days! :)

Try some probiotics or a little plain yogurt for her. Could be a slight upset in her digestive system. I've never heard of this problem before. Maybe she is missing her broody days! :)

Crop feels normal... weird right?! I’ve never seen or heard of this either. I did isolate her to try feeding on schedule and giving extra protein for molting. Maybe I’ll break the non broodiness in the mean time? Hahah the joy of the toxic poop without the delightful screaming. They always seem to keep me learning, that’s for sure :eek:

It’s once a day.. I will definitely do the probiotics also :)

Extra protein could make for larger and stinkier poops.
How/when are you isolating her?
What exactly is the diet and 'schedule'?
Good call. I have her in a large crate for monitoring/isolation. In thinking it may be a stomach upset I am starting egg/yogurt meals to see if it’s easier to digest. Also because it’s a pretty rough molt I thought it may help with that. There was also some suspicious clucking this morning so I am thinking it’s a false alarm and for some reason she started the broody poop before setting? Just strange. It’s one of those chicken things that seemed like no big deal, but after a week may be an issue. You know could be nothing, could be a huge issue. Oh the fun sometimes of having chickens.

In thinking it may be a stomach upset I am starting egg/yogurt meals to see if it’s easier to digest.
I'd just be feeding a decent higher protein(18-20%) chicken ration,
always available,
and maybe a bit of extra animal protein.
What do you normally feed?

I had one bird who seemed 'hold it' until I opened the pop door to the run in the morning, she's be first out and would immediately drop a huge turd.

Back
Top Bottom