Broody questions - 2 ducks on 1 nest, eggs will hatch on a few different days...

I'd put your drake in some time out by himself. He will stress out any duck with over mating and her health will suffer. I have no idea why they do this she maybe low in pecking order for one. Alot of members have to keep their drakes in separate pens to keep this from happening. as long as they can all still see each other he won't be too uncomfortable but at least your duck will get some time to grow feathers and have peace.

She always lays really thin-shelled eggs, so I believe her health is suffering. That or he won't let her in the coop at night to get at the oyster shell. But I am sure she is distressed. Alright, I'll work on separating Jo for a longer period of time; semi-permanant. So far all I have tried is locking him up for an hour or two when he chases her down, but that hasn't been enough.

And I forgot to say - glad you are doing well, and congrats on your new runners & bantams!

We just had two ducks on one nest and when the ducklings started hatching we brought in the pipped eggs and hatched the ducklings in our hatching incubator so we can group the ducklings with unrelated ducklings to prevent buyers from inbreeding in the future. We have had two ducks raise ducklings together but they had separate nests and we put them in a safe pen together. The ducklings formed one group and the ducks both mothered the entire group so it can be done.

We have done mostly incubator hatches in the past but this year we are leaving nests for the hens to hatch since I am not able to walk until I have surgery, which has been delayed 3 months already (my initial injury was 10 months ago but I reinjured it for 6 months in order to keep my job so I need surgery to put everything back together so I can walk again). Our hens do not seem to mind nesting close to each other and our drakes don't bother the hens on nests so the only safety issue we have with raising ducklings outside is the crows.

Interesting, I haven't thought of that as a way to ensure against imbreeding - nice! So far I only plan to bring eggs inside if they start kicking ones out that will hatch later after the first round starts emerging. And call me naive, but I didn't realize crows could be a concern with ducklings - I'll be keeping my eye out for them now!

I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

Interesting, I haven't thought of that as a way to ensure against imbreeding - nice! So far I only plan to bring eggs inside if they start kicking ones out that will hatch later after the first round starts emerging. And call me naive, but I didn't realize crows could be a concern with ducklings - I'll be keeping my eye out for them now!

I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

I have just made 4 breeding pairs from two clutches of ducklings by mixing hens from one group with drakes from another group, although we sell two pairs together so it is two hens with two unrelated drakes. I love the fact that I can voice sex hatchling ducklings and then vent sex them before they are two weeks old since it takes months before we can sex our Silkies.

The crows get our eggs but they also pick up the ducklings and drop them on the roof. They have even taken baby bunnies to the roof and decapitated them. The only good thing about the crows is that they chase off the hawks and eagles.

So far w've got one baby that is fully-hatched and healthy, one that had hatched and fluffed out but I found it dead later on, I don't know if it got squished or if something else was wrong. And there's one on its way out that the mamas have been oicking pieces of shell off of but it doesn't appear to habe broken through the internal membrane yet - it's all I can do to keep myself from intervening :barnie But no fighting between mamas and the live hatched baby is very happy with its "mamas". Nearly 20 more eggs to go over the course of a couple weeks!

So far w've got one baby that is fully-hatched and healthy, one that had hatched and fluffed out but I found it dead later on, I don't know if it got squished or if something else was wrong. And there's one on its way out that the mamas have been oicking pieces of shell off of but it doesn't appear to habe broken through the internal membrane yet - it's all I can do to keep myself from intervening
barnie.gif
But no fighting between mamas and the live hatched baby is very happy with its "mamas". Nearly 20 more eggs to go over the course of a couple weeks!
Wow that's alot of eggs, sorry about the one duckling I hope this little one makes it out with out any problems don't understand why the moms would be helping if it hasn't pipped inner membrane I'd keep close eye.

Congrats on the one fully hatched.

Wow that's alot of eggs, sorry about the one duckling I hope this little one makes it out with out any problems don't understand why the moms would be helping if it hasn't pipped inner membrane I'd keep close eye.

Congrats on the one fully hatched.

I am wondering if they were picking away at the shell because the baby was positioned wrong - There's a little tear in the membrane now and I see the beak/bill, but it's on the wrong end of the egg. How they knew that was the case I have no idea!!

I am wondering if they were picking away at the shell because the baby was positioned wrong - There's a little tear in the membrane now and I see the beak/bill, but it's on the wrong end of the egg. How they knew that was the case I have no idea!!
I hope by now more of the bill is showing but at least it has air so it should be okay. @Homesteadin

I hope by now more of the bill is showing but at least it has air so it should be okay.  @Homesteadin

No progress since seeing the beak. The membrane around it is really dry and leathery, should I be concerned that it maybe can't make it any further on its own?

No progress since seeing the beak. The membrane around it is really dry and leathery, should I be concerned that it maybe can't make it any further on its own?
you can intervene some but it just may not be ready yet. How long has the inner membrane been open? Are you actually taking the egg out to look at it? because that can cause the membrane to dry out also.

A pic would be good if you can. @Homesteadin

you can intervene some but it just may not be ready yet. How long has the inner membrane been open? Are you actually taking the egg out  to look at it? because that can cause the membrane to dry out also.

A pic would be good  if you can. @Homesteadin

The inner membrane has been open for almost all day. It is completely exposed on half of the egg because of all the shell the mamas pick off and I think that's the main reason it is so dried out. Baby is alive and moving a little, opening its mouth but making no sound. Getting kids to bed right now then I will try to run out and get a pic if my husband can help me with a flaslight. And an umbrella because it's pouring rain!

Back
Top Bottom