Broody Serama hatching Chicks 3ft up

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
Hello,

I have a broody Serama hen who is hatching babies in the nesting boxes that are up 3ft off the ground and they fly to get up there or walk up a steep incline.

The babies would fall if they jumped out so I am not sure how I should set it up for them to get back up there and down for food where the other hens would eat all their chick food.

I found one on the floor this evening and put it back up with her after it was shaking on the ground due to it being cold.

It was dry and must have hatched earlier today. She didn't get up to get it and there are others I think still under her since I am not sure she will be moving out, nor could she put it in her mouth like a dog/cat to take it back up.

Should I rehome her to a box on the floor? Leave her up there and let the chicks walk up and down an inclined platform?

What do you suggest I do?

TIA

Attachments

• 20231009_193857.jpg
    20231009_193857.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 59
Hello,

I have a broody Serama hen who is hatching babies in the nesting boxes that are up 3ft off the ground and they fly to get up there or walk up a steep incline.

The babies would fall if they jumped out so I am not sure how I should set it up for them to get back up there and down for food where the other hens would eat all their chick food.

I found one on the floor this evening and put it back up with her after it was shaking on the ground due to it being cold.

It was dry and must have hatched earlier today. She didn't get up to get it and there are others I think still under her since I am not sure she will be moving out, nor could she put it in her mouth like a dog/cat to take it back up.

Should I rehome her to a box on the floor? Leave her up there and let the chicks walk up and down an inclined platform?

What do you suggest I do?

TIA
I would put a box on the floor, set it sideways and make her a nest, then put her, the eggs, and chicks in it. Then put a feeder with starter in it and a small waterer with pebbles in so they don't drown right out front of it.

We have done this and it works great!

I would put a box on the floor, set it sideways and make her a nest, then put her, the eggs, and chicks in it. Then put a feeder with starter in it and a small waterer with pebbles in so they don't drown right out front of it.

We have done this and it works great!
I'll see about it when I get home today. She won't let me get near her and I can't even see how many chicks or eggs are under her. The baby must be under here too that was there yesterday.

I'll see about it when I get home today. She won't let me get near her and I can't even see how many chicks or eggs are under her. The baby must be under here too that was there yesterday.
Oh, if she's really protective, as in viciously protective, I'd do it at night. She won't be able to attack you and you can take care of them all then. That baby is going to be needing food/water soon.

Well, I got home and there were 2 chicks with her on the ground walking around. I don't know how they got down, but they're all snuggling under the ramp. I guess she'll be staying down there with them.

I think I'll need to put food down for them and a smaller waterer for them so they can get to the water. They're so small they fit between the 1 inch hardware cloth!

Well, I got home and there were 2 chicks with her on the ground walking around. I don't know how they got down, but they're all snuggling under the ramp. I guess she'll be staying down there with them.

I think I'll need to put food down for them and a smaller waterer for them so they can get to the water. They're so small they fit between the 1 inch hardware cloth!
We used a strip of painter's tape across the bottom of a small pen for a week so they couldn't get through. Or you could attach a long but short piece of cardboard to it with twist ties, zip strips, duct tape, etc.

We used a strip of painter's tape across the bottom of a small pen for a week so they couldn't get through. Or you could attach a long but short piece of cardboard to it with twist ties, zip strips, duct tape, etc.
I think they'll be fine now that she has them. They can get in and out. I am just not sure how she'll teach them to eat and drink since the other chickens eat out of a treadle feeder. Maybe she'll have them go eat up all the scraps around there. I did put chick starter feed near her, but then the other chickens started going over there to eat it too. I also put a small pan of water for them.
I don't want to pen her off. I am taking it day by day.

I think they'll be fine now that she has them. They can get in and out. I am just not sure how she'll teach them to eat and drink since the other chickens eat out of a treadle feeder. Maybe she'll have them go eat up all the scraps around there. I did put chick starter feed near her, but then the other chickens started going over there to eat it too. I also put a small pan of water for them.
I don't want to pen her off. I am taking it day by day.
I'd only worry if they aren't getting enough of the chick starter they need, and too much of the adult food. Could you replace the food in the adult feeder with the starter for a while? It won't hurt the older ones and is good for them, too, as long as you have oyster shell/calcium out for the hens, as the starter doesn't have enough.

Back
Top Bottom