Broody girl questions?

Is she possibly going broody at such a young age?
It is possible. My test to see if a hen or pullet is broody is that she needs to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of her normal sleeping spot. Often a hen will act like she might be thinking about going broody but the two consecutive nights test hasn't failed me yet. Someday it may.

If she is going broody, should we separate her from the other birds (we have 37)?
People do this all kinds of different ways. I mark my eggs so I know which ones she is supposed to have and check under her every day after the others have laid to remove any that don't belong. As long as I remove them daily they are still good to eat. Others isolate their broody hens using different methods. If you do isolate her I'd suggest you plan on keeping her locked up until after the eggs hatch, don't let her out or any other hen in. Give her food, water, and enough room to poop without messing up the nest.

She is nesting in a top box of a two layer nesting box. It's about 2 feet off the ground. Should we move her to a lower box so the chicks don't fall out. Assuming she's broody, of course.
I have two levels of nests, 2' and 4' off of the coop floor. I let hens hatch in any of them. I've seen a hen get her chicks out of a 10' high hay loft, she said jump and they did, then bounced up and ran to her. I'm not worried about them hurting themselves getting down. But obviously they cannot get back up. The broody takes them to bed on the coop floor.

One time I had chicks falling out of a nest. The hen was hatching in a 7-1/2" x 11-1/2" bucket. She was sitting so close to the edge that when a chick that had climbed up on her back fell off it missed the nest and fell four feet to the ground. Four different times I had to pick a chick up and put it back in the nest. Most of those were probably the same chick., not hurt at all. I retired that nest after the hatch. As long as the hen is not sitting so close to the edge that a falling chick can miss the nest I haven't had a problem.

I'm sure there are other questions I don't even know to ask, so anything else I should be concerned about?
As far as I'm concerned, the hen knows a lot more about the process instinctively than I do so I try to bother the hen as little as possible. When I check under her to collect any excess eggs I often set her on the coop floor. She usually sits there for several seconds and then either runs off to get food and water or runs back to the nest. If they are a true broody hen mine always wind up back at the nest.

If a hen is sitting on the nest laying an egg a broody might go to a different nest if that hen is in the way when she comes back from her daily constitutional. Usually that is not a problem but it can be with a weak-spirited broody hen. Even if the hen is off of the nest for a few hours that has never caused a problem with the hatch. I just move her back to the right nest when I see what is going on.

We have an Australorp pullet possibly going broody. She opted to sleep in the nesting box last night, and hasn't moved off it today.

Here is another good indicator of a broody... Aside from the cooing noises lol super fluffy!

I have a thread of our first broody adventure (somewhere in my content) with more pictures of Mama from her first brood. This is the second, I was trying to move her inside the coop lol I'm just hoping to find some eggs for her or I may have to break her, can only find eggs that are over 4 hour drive

Attachments

• PXL_20240219_023055604.jpg
    PXL_20240219_023055604.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240219_022924845.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240219_022924845.MP.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 4
I have a bantam EE that was hatched in July and she is definitely broody now. She will not be dissuaded. Last night I put her in broody jail, (a wire bottom cage in the basement) because I don’t want more chicks.
Young pullets might or might not be reliable broodies or good mothers. If I did want chicks, I probably wouldn’t order hatching eggs, but give her 3 or 4 of our eggs. Because once you have ordered eggs, you are much more invested in the outcome and it becomes much more stressful, rather than a ‘wait and see’ with a few of our own eggs.
IMG_7038.jpeg

I have a bantam EE that was hatched in July and she is definitely broody now. She will not be dissuaded. Last night I put her in broody jail, (a wire bottom cage in the basement) because I don’t want more chicks.
Young pullets might or might not be reliable broodies or good mothers. If I did want chicks, I probably wouldn’t order hatching eggs, but give her 3 or 4 of our eggs. Because once you have ordered eggs, you are much more invested in the outcome and it becomes much more stressful, rather than a ‘wait and see’ with a few of our own eggs.
View attachment 3774501
She was definitely broody. 3 of her eggs hatched. And we just gave her some of our own. So far she is being a good mama

Here is one. We have her in a separate are in the house. We put her in a mini run with a nesting box, but she refused to stay in it - despite it pouring rain. We found her sitting in the wet on the ground with the chicks. No idea why she wouldn't use it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240313_225411464.jpg
    PXL_20240313_225411464.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 8
Here is one. We have her in a separate are in the house. We put her in a mini run with a nesting box, but she refused to stay in it - despite it pouring rain. We found her sitting in the wet on the ground with the chicks. No idea why she wouldn't use it.
What a nice photo!

Back
Top Bottom