Is my almost hen broody? When will the eggs hatch?

Enola is either 8 or 9 weeks old! I’ll have to check! Does she still look like a girl? She is really cuddly! My other hens are too but since I didn’t raise her I wasn’t sure what to expect! But she is just so sweet!
56130D01-B1EC-4F39-96E9-B1DAE5CB9A98.jpeg
CECA5827-755B-458E-A1FE-B8AC2E8AB0C5.jpeg
9C727EA5-EE94-41DE-82D8-51CB216F9FBE.jpeg
DBE89F74-D85E-4192-8AF9-42CA0EC32AAA.jpeg

I think female, but I tend to be doubtful for a long time (because of the occasional males that keep everyone fooled for months and then make themselves known. They aren't very common, but not quite rare enough to ignore either.)
Well at least she seems to be female!

So for the chicken feed should I get starter or grower? Or should I just get layer?
The chick should not be eating layer feed. Layer feed has way too much calcium for chicks (about 3 times as much as they need, and that can cause problems.) Layer feed usually does not have enough protein for a growing chick, although some kinds do-- but the big issue is the calcium.

So you should get starter or grower. Either one is safe for the entire flock to eat. Just make sure they have a dish of oyster shell, so the ones that are laying can get the extra calcium to produce eggshells. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium, so don't worry if chicks or roosters sample it too: they typically won't eat enough to cause any trouble for themselves.

The chick should not be eating layer feed. Layer feed has way too much calcium for chicks (about 3 times as much as they need, and that can cause problems.) Layer feed usually does not have enough protein for a growing chick, although some kinds do-- but the big issue is the calcium.

So you should get starter or grower. Either one is safe for the entire flock to eat. Just make sure they have a dish of oyster shell, so the ones that are laying can get the extra calcium to produce eggshells. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium, so don't worry if chicks or roosters sample it too: they typically won't eat enough to cause any trouble for themselves.
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom