Is my almost hen broody? When will the eggs hatch?

So Amelia really wants to live outside again! But I have two problems. The first is that it’s been cold and rainy and if not rainy windy. The second is that can I just put a tarp over the little coop when it rains? I don’t think I can fix the roof. Would Enola be ok since she’s fully feathered?

So Amelia really wants to live outside again! But I have two problems. The first is that it’s been cold and rainy and if not rainy windy. The second is that can I just put a tarp over the little coop when it rains? I don’t think I can fix the roof. Would Enola be ok since she’s fully feathered?
Yes, they should be fine outdoors, as long as they can get out of the wind and rain.
Yes, putting a tarp over the little coop will probably be fine.

They probably could have moved out long ago, rather than staying inside this long. But moving them out now should not be a problem.

The usual advice to move chicks outdoors after they are fully feathered is assuming no heat source when they go out (no hen, no heat lamp, no brooder plate, etc.)

Chicks can go outside even when they are not fully feathered, if they can snuggle under a hen whenever they need to (her feathers protect the chicks.) And chicks with no hen can go outside before they are fully feathered if they are free to run into a sheltered place and warm up (like a coop with a brooder plate or heat lamp for them to warm up, with access to an outdoor run.)

How cold does it get? As long the can get out of rain and wind, they'll be fine (assuming the above question isn't answered with some extreme cold). Chicks with a heat source (in this case, a mother, one of the best ones ever) from day one, she is definitely ready to go out, if the temperature is within reason

Back
Top Bottom