Broody girl questions?

So, if I order hatching eggs, that takes a few days. Will she continue sitting without eggs? Or should I put some fake ones under her till they arrive? We were thinking we wanted some Bielfelders anyway.
I would put dummy eggs under her. Just to ensure she stays broody for you.
Then she should also be settled in before you put eggs underneath her. So you know she's committed.

I would put dummy eggs under her. Just to ensure she stays broody for you.
Then she should also be settled in before you put eggs underneath her. So you know she's committed.
How many days is "settled-in" and how long can she be off a nest before eggs are harmed? Sorry - soooo many questions.

So, if I order hatching eggs, that takes a few days. Will she continue sitting without eggs? Or should I put some fake ones under her till they arrive? We were thinking we wanted some Bielfelders anyway.
I've read a good rule of thumb is if she stays 3 days/nights in nest she should stay.

Our first broody stayed a week before we got her eggs, and she hatched and weaned them, and is now going broody again! Lol

I've read a good rule of thumb is if she stays 3 days/nights in nest she should stay.

Our first broody stayed a week before we got her eggs, and she hatched and weaned them, and is now going broody again! Lol
Ok. Cool. Thank you. So, day 1 so far. If she goes broody, here's hoping for a hatch full of pullets. LOL! We have cockerels in our flock - and I wouldn't mind having some cream legbar/Australorp mixes, but I don't know if the eggs are fertilized or not. She could be sitting for days to no avail.

How many days is "settled-in" and how long can she be off a nest before eggs are harmed? Sorry - soooo many questions.
Like @Australorpfamily mentioned, 3 days of consistent sitting is a good teller of commitment.
If she's off for....? Maybe more then an hour?
All the broody's I've had are pretty good about getting back on the eggs.

Don't worry about it! That's what we're all here for. :)

Ok. Cool. Thank you. So, day 1 so far. If she goes broody, here's hoping for a hatch full of pullets. LOL! We have cockerels in our flock - and I wouldn't mind having some cream legbar/Australorp mixes, but I don't know if the eggs are fertilized or not. She could be sitting for days to no avail.
It you want to check and see if an egg is developing, you can do this thing called 'candling'. You put a bright flashlight up to the egg and you'll either see a little embryo, or an empty egg.

It you want to check and see if an egg is developing, you can do this thing called 'candling'. You put a bright flashlight up to the egg and you'll either see a little embryo, or an empty egg.
Yep. I'm familiar with candling. But there isn't a way to determine if an egg is fertile before you put it under her, right? Or is there?

It's normal and healthy for a hen that young to go broody. If you want to select the eggs she sits on you should do so ASAP before new lives are needlessly killed. In my experience a hen will sit on eggs for around a month before she gives up on them, and a hen will continue to sit on a nest for 3-7 days even if all of her eggs have been taken away

I have 8 broody hens outside right now. 7 have chosen safe locations, however 1 made a nest in an irresponsible location and my dog ate her eggs for around a week before she gave up on that nesting location

Back
Top Bottom