Is my almost hen broody? When will the eggs hatch?

They moved out and love it!!! Enola is super sweet and friendly and will still sit in my lap if I go in there. It’s really funny watching the chickens look at her with mild surprise! Amelia started laying again found an egg in the brooder yesterday. Thanks for everyone for helping me and answering all my questions!
229DD0B8-ACC5-4F47-8E44-AAC4104AEF2F.jpeg
I’ll post pictures of their coop and run later.

They moved out and love it!!! Enola is super sweet and friendly and will still sit in my lap if I go in there. It’s really funny watching the chickens look at her with mild surprise! Amelia started laying again found an egg in the brooder yesterday. Thanks for everyone for helping me and answering all my questions! View attachment 3758747I’ll post pictures of their coop and run later.

Great news! At this point, I'm fairly certain Enola is a pullet! As Amelia has gone back into lay, she might want to brood again soon

215AD0A5-5CB2-4551-B113-8AF21A6F7B66.jpeg

Enola is 6 weeks and 4 days old! Does she still look like a girl? She’s super sweet! I wonder if she’ll outgrow her mom?
0E13BC8D-04FA-4C72-85DE-9CF95FEAFC21.jpeg

Amelia is laying again and still on chick feed for Enola. Can I give her oyster and egg shells? Will it be bad if Enola eats them? Can I give Amelia big grit and little grit for Enola? Will it be bad if Enola eats one of the bigger rocks? Also I feed my flock layer feed and I’ve heard this can be bad for roosters but I’m having trouble finding all flock feed. Should my rooster be okay? I don’t know if I want to switch the food because I found one that I really like and it’s always a possibility that he’ll have to leave.

Amelia is laying again and still on chick feed for Enola. Can I give her oyster and egg shells? Will it be bad if Enola eats them?
Yes, provide oyster shell and/or egg shell, because Amelia will need them.

Don't worry about Enola. She is likely to try a little bit and then ignore it, and that will be fine. Chickens tend to be pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium for their own needs, if you just keep it available and let them decide.

Can I give Amelia big grit and little grit for Enola? Will it be bad if Enola eats one of the bigger rocks?
That would be fine. Don't worry about what size rocks Enola chooses to eat. If she is able to swallow it, then it will be fine inside of her.

Also I feed my flock layer feed and I’ve heard this can be bad for roosters but I’m having trouble finding all flock feed. Should my rooster be okay? I don’t know if I want to switch the food because I found one that I really like and it’s always a possibility that he’ll have to leave.
You could feed them all chick starter if you want. Just like all flock feed, it is safe for chickens of all ages.

Depending on how long the rooster eats the layer feed, he may seem fine or he may eventually have trouble. The extra calcium can cause problems for his kidneys, but it happens gradually, so longer times on layer feed will tend to cause more problems (but not all roosters have problems at the same rate, and some roosters eat layer feed for years without showing any obvious issues.)

Enola is seven weeks old and still sleeps under Amelia! It’s soooo cute! Although I have to say she doesn’t fit all the way! She is extremely cuddly and will perch on my hand like a little bird it’s really cute. She’ll also sit on my knee, lap or arm. She is starting to get some white feathers on her head and if you part her feathers it’s grey like her daddy. I’ll try to get some pictures. Amelia has grown back most of her feathers and looks like she’s a young pullet again!

This morning i let all the chickens out except Belle. They did well! Not sure if anyone saw my other thread but Belle my one silkie has been attacking Tilda her sister and trying to get to Amelia. Belle was all bloody and every time she’s with the other chickens she just goes for Tilda so she’s been in a playpen. Well Royal was feeding Enola and Amelia grass! It was so sweet. Everyone just about left them alone tilda did chase Amelia away twice but other than that it went well! So hopefully in a few days they can move in the main coop and Belle might move into the little coop.

Back
Top Bottom