Broody with chicks accept new chicks?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I have a broody with five 4-6 day old chicks. I have an egg in the incubator due to hatch around Friday 26th (the broody hen was sitting on this one for about week before I realized it was a stow-away under her. I also have 8 more eggs due to hatch around the 31st that I found in a hidden communal nest. Instead of tossing them, we decided to try to hatch them out.

The 8 due on the 31st I am going to keep in a brooder as I think I have found a home for them.

What do I do with the one due to hatch on the 26th?

Will broody accept it as her own? Is the age gap too much? Should I just keep it by itself for 4-5 days before the others hatch?

She's not likely to take it. She'll know its not hers and either abandon it or more likely kill it.

there is a chance she will accept them, i have had it happen in the past but you must keep a close eye on her to see if she accepts them, or if she suddenly changes her mind. if she does, the chicks need to be put in a brooder.

Throw in an empty shell and slip chick under her at night with the rest. That might help. Also keep her busy with her young ones with dry leave pile or such for distraction and cohesiveness. And yes Watch the Mama!

I ended up not introducing the late hatcher to the broody. I kept her inside until the ones in the incubator hatched. She had a small stuffed hippo as a "litter mate" and a fluffy teddy bear as a "mama" that she slept under. That kept her calm until the others hatched.

I have a broody with five 4-6 day old chicks. I have an egg in the incubator due to hatch around Friday 26th (the broody hen was sitting on this one for about week before I realized it was a stow-away under her. I also have 8 more eggs due to hatch around the 31st that I found in a hidden communal nest. Instead of tossing them, we decided to try to hatch them out.

The 8 due on the 31st I am going to keep in a brooder as I think I have found a home for them.

What do I do with the one due to hatch on the 26th?

Will broody accept it as her own? Is the age gap too much? Should I just keep it by itself for 4-5 days before the others hatch?

I ended up not introducing the late hatcher to the broody. I kept her inside until the ones in the incubator hatched. She had a small stuffed hippo as a "litter mate" and a fluffy teddy bear as a "mama" that she slept under. That kept her calm until the others hatched. 
is the olderling with the others now? Good subs, the stuffed critters . Wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Back
Top Bottom