Broody?

I have a pullet that sits on all the eggs (even the dummies!) constantly while in the coop. Could she be going broody? All my chickens are golden comets, which are generally not predisposed to broodiness.
I think there’s a good chance! Even breeds that are known not to go broody always have a chance. That happened to my chicken to she is a larger breed and she went broody last year. How long has she been sitting for??

She has been at this for about a week now. It is easy to move her--she doesn't peck or scratch, but she is reluctant.

She has been at this for about a week now. It is easy to move her--she doesn't peck or scratch, but she is reluctant.
When you move her, does she go right back the nest?
How old is she, in months...and how long has she been laying?
Are you sure she's not just hiding?
Or she may just be a 'lounger'.

My go-to signs of a broody.
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

All of my ladies are about 13 months old. They have been laying regularly since August. I haven't checked to see how quickly she goes back to the nest after I move her, and I don't usually bother the girlies at night (I'm also a mom to twins, born in September, so I need my sleep, too!). She will usually leave the coop with the others when I free range them, albeit reluctantly. I haven't been free ranging them much lately, though, as there have been plenty of storms this past week.

If she is leaving to free range more than a few minutes, she is not "broody enough" to be given eggs yet. Sometimes they get a bit broody. From there they can go either way. Sitting all night and most of the day (less than an hour in breaks) or decide not to set now.

All of my ladies are about 13 months old. They have been laying regularly since August. I haven't checked to see how quickly she goes back to the nest after I move her, and I don't usually bother the girlies at night (I'm also a mom to twins, born in September, so I need my sleep, too!). She will usually leave the coop with the others when I free range them, albeit reluctantly. I haven't been free ranging them much lately, though, as there have been plenty of storms this past week.
OyVey...I'll bet!!

Back
Top Bottom