Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! Laura, I read your article on Rat poisons last night. Very Informative & food for thought!!

Ocap! He most certainly did arise!
smile.png

Dan

Thanks! That was a very scary episode for us, I was glad Backyard Poultry Mag let me write about it (for those who don't know what we're talking about, BP Magazine's latest issue has my article in it about second-generation rodenticides and how bad they are.)

They don't have the link up on the website yet, but my article is on Page 22: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/toc-8-2.php

The bottom line is, the newest rat poisons have no antidote, unlike the older ones that could be antidoted with a shot of vitamin K. So if your dog gets into it, or your chicken eats a mouse that has eaten it, it could kill them.

Pick up a copy of it at your local feed store for more info.

Gosh, I don't bother to candle until at least day 12 or 14. Be patient folks. You're just making yourselves crazy, and I'm not sure it's good for the eggs to keep taking them out and subjecting them to the light like that. I know it's hard.

Gosh, I don't bother to candle until at least day 12 or 14. Be patient folks. You're just making yourselves crazy, and I'm not sure it's good for the eggs to keep taking them out and subjecting them to the light like that. I know it's hard.

I have no problem with being patient and waiting. I have just read so many others that do candle early so I thought it was ok. I like your approach better though.... wait it is.

I was told to candle at day 7, day 10, & then day 18. Too often? If they are not stinkin or weepin they go back in regardless.

I guess a lot of people do it to get eggs that are not developing out of there. I don't have enough confidence or experience to make that call. I set 25 eggs and it is day 8. I have removed 3 for weeping so far.

Dan

I was told to candle at day 7, day 10, & then day 18. Too often? If they are not stinkin or weepin they go back in regardless.

I guess a lot of people do it to get eggs that are not developing out of there. I don't have enough confidence or experience to make that call. I set 25 eggs and it is day 8. I have removed 3 for weeping so far.

Dan

ok, that is new one on me...weeping eggs! Learn something every day around here.

Weeping? What's that?

If I candle, I do so on Day 12 or so. I set eggs every Saturday and transfer to the hatching tray on Thursday usually. Since I'm opening the incubator to pull out eggs and transfer to the hatching tray, I will sometimes pull out the tray with two-week old eggs and slap the Brinsea Egg-Lume to the eggs pulling the blanks when I find them as that leave good eggs in for the hatching tray next week and gives a few extra places for more eggs if I need it.

Also, I feed the blanks back to my birds and I've cracked open eggs that were 22-23 days old and never had a stinking egg. In fact, the only time I've ever had a stinking egg was with some hatching eggs I got one time. Never had any of mine go bad.

God Bless,

Royce

Weeping is leaking fluid to the outside of an egg shell. Looks like a tear. From what I have been told it might as well go.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom