Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germaine ...
You have babies ... give it a try, and see if it works well for you! (the day old wing pin feather method on Buckeye chicks)

Very interesting! I am gonna try it, with my updoming hatches!

I have tried it before and wasn't too good at it, but I'll try again. Each breed is different so maybe Buckeyes will be easier. I wanted pics again of both groups together anyway. I like to keep track of what they look like and when because they grow up so darn fast! I also need to leg band Lauras so I know who is who.

I got seven out of nine roos that need to go to the freezer. I can't decide which two to keep. But I was looking at thier combs yesterday and they were all different . So my question is, what is the perfect pea comb suppose to look like?

buff-eye: I got seven out of nine roos that need to go to the freezer. I can't decide which two to keep. But I was looking at thier combs yesterday and they were all different . So my question is, what is the perfect pea comb suppose to look like?

The pea comb of a Buckeye should be medium-size, have three ridges with the middle ridge being slightly higher than the two on the sides.

Unless all other things are equal or pretty much so, I would NOT necessarily decide the "keepers" based on comb. I have enough good combs not to have to worry about it though. If they are your first Buckeye chicks, select for body type. Pick the more square-shaped body. You must handle each bird. Take each cockerel and from the back, place your hands on back of the breast at the bird's shoulders with your hands fitting neatly under the wings. Go from one bird to the next so you can easily compare. The bird with the greatest "heart girth," you will find, will likely also be the most square-shaped. When in doubt, keep the one with the greatest heart girth. Avoid keeping the bird with the longer back as this lends to a more "pinched" saddle area (and a more rectangular look). Look also at shank thickness secondarily. I weigh mine as well but the heaviest bird is not always the best shaped bird. If you have pictures, I can help but actually handling them is the best method of choosing. I hope this helps you.

Here are some good medium size pea combs (on a 6 month old cockerel):
FL000002.jpg

On a 8 month old cockerel:
IM000805_0003_003.jpg

That was really helpful thank you cgmccary, great descriptions! Would you by anychance have pics of the peacombs from a front view. I am really new to peacombs and honestly don't know what a good front view looks like. I always thought they were broad, fairly flat and solid? Guess I need to do my homework.

Cgmccary, you mentioned different buckeye strains near the beginning of this thread. What's the difference between Urch, Brown, etc.? Are they bred for meat/dual purpose/exhibition in various proportions? Or are these strains mostly geographical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom