Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChickBond 007 asked: Can someone explain the typical flaws in a hatchery Buckeye vs. private (quality) breeder Buckeye?

Good question. The only hatchery Buckeyes I have seen in person were some I've seen at the shows; otherwise, I have seen hatchery Buckeyes only in pictures. I have never handled any of them so I may not have a full answer. There are some people out there who own both hatchery stock & "Good Breeder " stock and might be able to give a better answer than I.

First note, there are not that many Buckeyes out there to begin with for there to be a lot of difference in any of them. I have seen pictures of Buckeyes belonging to people who call themselves a "Buckeye Breeder," and their Buckeyes appeared to be farther from the Standard of Perfection's description than the hatchery Buckeyes I've observed in person at the shows. What I observed of Buckeyes at the show from hatchery stock were that they were a lot smaller overall, lacked thick shanks, were more rectangular in shape, a couple had pinched saddle areas, lacked muscular thighs & build, their pea-combs (on the males) were more like a rose comb--- again, I will tell you though, I have seen all the same in the pictures of a few so-called "Buckeye breeders" who claim to hatch hundreds of Buckeye chicks a year (and they claim the pictures posted were their best birds)-- perhaps the breeder selected more like a hatchery, did not know what to select for or perhaps even, they are the source of the hatchery stock I observed at the show & therefore, the reason the hatchery stock was the way it was (i.e. so no difference in some breeder stock and some hatchery stock). Also, I have seen some hatchery stock, primarily the pullets, that looked pretty good, pretty solid birds.

Also, there is some quality I have seen in the better birds which I don't know if I can describe, but it is the bird's overall demeanor or the way it carries itself -- again, I can't really describe this quality in a quantitative way (but I know it when I see it). I'm not sure I answered your question.​

Thank you cgmccary, OSUman and bigredfeather for your help. The cockrel (the one with 3 pics of) was from my eggs has deep yellow legs, is that good or bad. Also I only had one with a bad comb.

Buff eye: "deep yellow legs" are good. He looks like he has a good, proper shape (looks square to me). Wattles look the right size (i.e. "moderately small). The comb, from what I can tell, looks good. What does he weigh?

Is that black splotching on his breast or just the picture? (color doesn't always show correctly in pictures) If it is black splotching, then you want to try and keep a son that doesn't have that (or has less of that) until you no longer get it anymore. My first Buckeye rooster had it too. It is easy to breed out.

Quote:
The SOP calls for yellow shanks and toes.

COLOR:
COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR LOBES: Bright red.
BEAK: Yellow, shaded with reddish horn.
EYES: Reddish bay.
SHANKS AND TOES: Yellow
PLUMAGE: General surface color an even shade of rich mahogany bay in all sections, with the exception the unexposed primaries and secondaries and the main tail feathers may contain black. Male sickles and coverts should be shaded bay and black, thus avoiding a sharp contrast between the body and tail.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate.

All of you have been a wealth of info!! A few threads back you all were talking about strains. Brown strain seems to lean toward a meat bird? I am just getting started in Buckeyes. I am not showing, but would like to stay true so maybe can sell a little breeding stock in the far future. I know I have asked for Eggs and got a great response, so now who has good "meat" breeding with eggs for sale? Am I taking the "meat" or "egg" strain difference to far? Does the standard keep the variation to a minimum? Thanks

Thank you cgmccary for you answer, very thorough and helpful.

I chose Buckeyes for my spring order because of the fact that the information I have been given about the breed detailed that they were best suited to free-ranging. My 12x16 coop setup allows me to keep several through the winter in a warm safe environment, but all other seasons see my chickens free ranging in our hay field, about 20 acres. The chickens typically only move over a 1 acre area close to the coop but if free will leads them, they could go much further.

I don't have plans for breeding this stock, so the aspect of a well tempered bird that liked to free range appealed to me. I am disappointed to hear that the temperment may be the affected part of the downfall of Buckeye hatchery stock.
Yet, the payment is made and I will have to see for myself this summer.
Thank you for the info.

ChickenBond, don't worry these birds make great free range! Due to husband ability to procrastinate mine are still in the garage! They roam our 1 acre yard and interact with us, dog, pigeons, cats and other chickens who fly in, It is all good! They come running/ flying when called every night to go in the pen.They are in a large No roof pen all night and could fly out and run amok thru out the garage but don't! The hens are so friendly if you sit on the patio they find a chair and join you.Also No dandilions left in our yard! ps one has learned to use the dog door!
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom