Buckeyes and Barred Rock Cross

BigDawg49

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 5, 2012
Hi
I'm new here but not new to raising chickens.I have Buckeyes and Barred Rock presently and was wondering if anyone here has ever crossed them and what the outcome was.Since finding this website I have certainly enjoyed the many topics of conversation.Looking forward to many chats in the days to come.My wife and I are retired and live in NW Ohio.
Doug

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

If you cross a Barred Rock rooster with a Buckeye hen, you should get male and female chickens that are colored a lot like the Barred Rock.

If you cross a Buckeye Rooster with a Barred Rock hen, you should get black females that are not barred and barred males that look a lot like the Barred Rock. I don't know what the down of this cross will look like at hatch. A barred chick will have a white or yellow spot on its head. A not barred chick will not have this spot. That's what is called a black sex link. But chick down can be kind of funny. Even an all-black adult chicken may not have all black down when it hatches. I think you will be able to see the spot in this cross, but I'm not 100% sure.

thumbsup.gif
Thanks Ridgerunner for the info.It was appreciated.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom