Buff Barred Cochin Thread

I am on page 13 of this thread, I'm hoping by the time I make it to page 26 I will have found my answer, or someone has answered my question...

...Can someone break down the gentics, as i cant seem to get it right in the chicken calculator.

I am wanting to stay with the black barred, I have two 4 month old pullets, and have had a hard time finding a black barred roo for them...so I am looking into getting a buff barred rooster, I was told it will take 1 generation to get black barred ...

so if i have a buff barred x black barred will I get 50% buff / 50%black? ...Im wishing I payed more attention in Ag biology with genetics, I remeber some..but not enough. If I do end up with 50/50 chicks, then they would be split color wise right (so a black chick would carry the buff gene, and bred back to a buff would have 75% rate of having buff chicks..in ideal conditons)...If any of that makes sense, it does it my head, but I don't want to get it wrong.

I should have added the rooster Im looking into is split to black barred/...forgot that part until just right now! So that should confirm what I was thinking?

...forgot to add the other option, instead of splits would i get a black barred with buff color leakage? I am taking notes on all the gentics as i go, frustrating that i cant learn everything over night. I need to see it to learn it, so its a bit more difficult for me to comprehend.

I don't know that anyone knows. There was a discussion about it on the regular Cochin thread, and there's a link to it on one of these pages... but what was said there has been disproven. So, I don't know!

Danny, I was going to ask you what your experiences have been. You've asked about the genetics too, I think you've been working on this color awhile?

Last edited:
Its 1:40 a.m. and i just finished this thread, and the links on the cochin thread, plus google search and still haven't found a clear answer. I was talking to Lynne, I will have to ask her for more info..now that I spent all this time on this thread im drooling over the buff barred! But I will add it to my " 'egg' bucket list" until I can figure out the black barred variety.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

I keep saying I am going to study the barred gene. I do not think it is difficult but I have only bred the Golden Cuckoo. I have never cared for barred birds until I saw these little nuggets of fluff! The Cuckoos were super easy and I achieved what I wanted quickly.
I believe I will be able to work with these just as easily. My main focus is always to keep that gorgeous conformation and sweet temperament.
Decide what you are working towards and then focus on that. It probably isn't as hard as we often make it out.

It sounds as if you have it figured out. Keep the best offspring and don't sell them too early or you may lose the best one created each generation.

Its 1:40 a.m. and i just finished this thread, and the links on the cochin thread, plus google search and still haven't found a clear answer. I was talking to Lynne, I will have to ask her for more info..now that I spent all this time on this thread im drooling over the buff barred! But I will add it to my " 'egg' bucket list" until I can figure out the black barred variety.
I think the easiest answer to your question is to get a "Show Quality" Black roo. Breed your 2 barred pullets to him. You will get 50% black & 50% barred. At that point you just cull until you have the pair, trio, etc. that have the best color & barring. When you breed barred to barred you will get barred......Actually (unless you are interested in Buff Barred) there is no reason to use a buff barred to get a black barred if you already have 50 % of the equation in your barred pullets. A good black roo is much easier to aquire & breeding to buff is just a step backwards.

I am on page 13 of this thread, I'm hoping by the time I make it to page 26 I will have found my answer, or someone has answered my question...

...Can someone break down the gentics, as i cant seem to get it right in the chicken calculator.

I am wanting to stay with the black barred, I have two 4 month old pullets, and have had a hard time finding a black barred roo for them...so I am looking into getting a buff barred rooster, I was told it will take 1 generation to get black barred ...

so if i have a  buff barred x black barred  will I get 50% buff / 50%black? ...Im wishing I payed more attention in Ag biology with genetics, I remeber some..but not enough. If I do end up with 50/50 chicks, then they would be split color wise right (so a black chick would carry the buff gene, and bred back to a buff would have 75% rate of having buff chicks..in ideal conditons)...If any of that makes sense, it does it my head, but I don't want to get it wrong.

If you are wanting to keep the black barred, just find a good black roo for your girls, Black X Black Barred girls = Black barred boys and black girls.

Back
Top Bottom