Buff Barred Cochin Thread

http://www.westknollfarm.com/Buff-Barred-bantam-Cochin.html
will sell hatching eggs I think, but a friend had a really bad hatch rate and they aren't guaranteed to be barred (they are just a project so far, she got zero barred out of the few that actually hatched, though I think one is coming in lemon cuckoo)

But, if no one else chimes in, that may be a good gamble. They are very pretty, even if they don't end up barred.

Edit: I forgot they were bantams. There may be other better places for LF cochin. duh.

Last edited:
This is a new project so some of the girls will not show barring. I have not hatched a boy yet that wasn't barred. I have 7 breeding pens of these to work on getting them to become near perfect.
My most important factor is type instead of just barring. I do not paint the barn before I build it. It first has to be a sturdy long lasting structure before I throw a coat of paint on it.
Barring is easy to introduce but thankfully my barred birds are crossing very well. Still, the barring on the girls is harder to achieve with really good type. I do not breed Cochins that are not of good type.
Also, do not expect chicks to look like adults. I have too many buyers expecting juveniles to look like a mature bird. They want their chicks and juvies to look like the fathers and mothers. No one seems to want to give them time to actually mature.

yeah, i know how that is. i have studied the barring gene and am aware of the percentage of chick coming out barred or not.

Some of my youngsters are coming out like this. The barring is faint but it is there.
Select breeding for barring and type takes a while. I have only been breeding this variety for 18 months. Another 2 years and they will be all lovely.....and more expensive.

And boys with the double barring will be very light. A single barred boy presents darker.

Back
Top Bottom