Buff Orp daddy and Crested Cream Legbar mommy - What sex might I have???

Thank you - that makes total sense now - (back to 8th grade genetics). Looks like Buff will need a new home - he is a stunning bird and I was hoping for an olive egger.

Just fyi this cross wouldn't have given a true Olive layer if it had been a Pullet. You'd have some shade of green, but for a good rich olive the brown parent needs to be a dark egger. Orps are lighter brown.

Just fyi this cross wouldn't have given a true Olive layer if it had been a Pullet. You'd have some shade of green, but for a good rich olive the brown parent needs to be a dark egger. Orps are lighter brown.

X2
The green eggs on the left of this photo were laid by my crosses between a blue egg laying hen and a buff orp rooster. They are definitely green but not really olive.

That is a BEAUTIFUL bird. And now if it REALLY is a CCL and BO, I guess I put together some CCL hens with a BO roo, I definitely would love to have some girls looking like that. Sounds like the beginning of a project.

C

That is a BEAUTIFUL bird.  And now if it REALLY is a CCL and BO,  I guess I put together some CCL hens with a BO roo, I definitely would love to have some girls looking like that.  Sounds like the beginning of a project.

C

If you want some hens that look like this, you would need to do the cross the other way around (with a CCL roo and buff orp hens) to get the barring. Otherwise you'll end up with buff females and barred roos.

If you want some hens that look like this, you would need to do the cross the other way around (with a CCL roo and buff orp hens) to get the barring. Otherwise you'll end up with buff females and barred roos.

THATS what I meant. lol

Claudia

They are all pure breeds - if he can stay quiet I may keep him around for a while. Plenty of takers for the frying pan but I would hate to see this happen at 9 weeks of bonding;)

He is now up for adoption - any takers can message me - I am in Wales, Wisconsin (53188) pick up only

Back
Top Bottom