Buff Orp with closed eyes, acting lethargic

Felicia Boyer

Hatching
Apr 18, 2016
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a buff Orpington pullet that is hanging out by herself in a coop of 9, she's just a few weeks old (don't have an exact age, she was purchased at a farm swap last Sunday) she was doing great (as are all of her coop mates) until today, I found her this afternoon standing with her eyes closed, and this evening I found her laying with her eyes closed all by herself, she's got her feathers all poofed up too (she's got down and adult feathers both) they are still all on medicated starter, and I'm alternating electrolyte -fresh- probiotic- fresh waters.

I've raised chicks for many years and haven't seen this. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be wrong, what could have caused it, what I can do to fix her, or if it's just going to be a 'wait and pray she gets better' type of situation. Thank you
1f49b.png

The most common problem in young pullets a few weeks old can be coccidiosis. Symptoms are hunched posture or puffing up, ruffled feathers, lethargy, not eating, and runny droppings with mucus or blood. Corid is the treatment. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It is the same ingredient in medicated feed, only much stronger, so there is no need to change the feed. Corid is found in the cattle medicines of most feed stores. Liquid Corid dosage is 2 tsp per gallon.

I don't think that's it only because she isn't hunched, she's eating and drinking like normal, and her poops are normal as well (I spent a lot of time watching her last night)

She seems to be doing better this morning, so I will continue to watch for any signs of coccidiosis. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom