Buff orpington and feather sexing

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York
Can you feather sex pure buff orps? Has anyone done it and how accurate was it? I have 2 pure orps that i hatched out of my 7,and think one is male one is female based on feather sexing,but the one with female feathering has an already larger comb!

Orpingtons can not be feather sexed. Actually, most chicks, of any breed, can't be feather sexed with accuracy unless you know with certainty that a slow feathering hen was bred with a fast feathering rooster. Otherwise, it's guessing.

Can females start off with larger combs than males? I think this is where i'm most confused! Lol! I'll try getting feather and comb pics today to add here.
comb size isn't what I look at it's comb color, the boys will get pink fairly early, the girls stay orange yellow, that combine with feathering, I can always pick out my roosters pretty early.

Can females start off with larger combs than males? I think this is where i'm most confused! Lol! I'll try getting feather and comb pics today to add here.

Rather than size, you need to look at the comb's color. Cockerel combs will redden up by 10-11 weeks (often before that). Pullet combs do not redden up until they are pretty close to laying age.

My apologies, the larger combed buff orp is the one with the feathers that look like male feathering. I know the only way to know for sure is wait. Maybe the feathering and comb will turn out to be the sexes i think they are.
This one I think female...

This one i think male...

I shall update with adorable pics as these 2 grow! We'll see if my guesses are right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom