Buff Orpington and Light Brahma Cross

I bought them as vent sexed pullets. They are two of my best layers. 100% female.

Oh,ok
1f60a.png

Now what makes mine sex linked chicks? In the learning center they list the crosses that make the different kinda of sex links,like the red and black. I don't see brahmas in there as mixes for sex links.

It's the Light Brahma hen's silver (black and white) coloring that produces red sexlinks. It's the same color as Light Sussex, Columbian Rocks, and Columbian Wyandottes. Breed isn't really important when it comes to sexlinks. It's the color genetics of the hen that matter. As long as the hen has a silver-base color, she will produce red sexlink chicks when bred to a rooster with a gold/red base color. Silver is dominant over gold/red colors. She can only pass the dominant, silver coloring on to her male chicks.

It's the Light Brahma hen's silver (black and white) coloring that produces red sexlinks. It's the same color as Light Sussex, Columbian Rocks, and Columbian Wyandottes. Breed isn't really important when it comes to sexlinks. It's the color genetics of the hen that matter. As long as the hen has a silver-base color, she will produce red sexlink chicks when bred to a rooster with a gold/red base color. Silver is dominant over gold/red colors. She can only pass the dominant, silver coloring on to her male chicks.

So if I bred a columbian wyandotte to a golden laced wyandotte would they be sexlinks?

Yes, as long as the Silver Laced is the hen. A Silver Laced rooster would pass that silver gene to both male and female chicks.

Im gonna have to try this as i got columbian hens coming in april and i have a golden laced roo. Would it be sex link if the roo was a blrw?

My babies are now 7 weeks old! I just loved them so much,I ended up hatching out 7 more eggs! However my breeder said,her buff orp hen had started laying as well,and turns out 2 are pure buff orp,the other 5 are my orp brahma mixes. I was still skeptical on my 3 being all females. I just figured i'm not THAT lucky!however,this new batch of chicks, 3 of them look ALOT more yellow! I would bet these are the males that will feather white! I'll add pics of the new chicks when i take them.

Back
Top Bottom